Sunday, August 7, 2016

Special Deliveries

It doesn't matter how young or old you are, there's a special feeling that accompanies getting something in the mail from someone you love. And if you're one of two very special little Canadians and that something that comes in the mail just happens to be from your beloved Ghee ... well, that pretty much ensures that it's going to be an extra special delivery. And I'll tell you a secret ... one of the best things in life is Skyping with those two girlsies and watching them when they open the packages I send them. The looks on their faces, the excitement in their eyes, the high-pitched squeal from Amelie when she discovers the pretend bacon ... yes, it's true ... I did indeed send my littlest granddaughter some fake bacon as part of her gift for her second birthday. Don't judge me ... the kid loves to play like she's cooking in her little kitchen, and it just so happens that she especially loves to pretend that she's cooking bacon. I will admit, however, that when my daughter-in-law told me that little Miss Ambo sneaks the pretend bacon into bed with her at night, it made me worry that my littlest grandgal may have inherited just a touch of her Ghee's craziness.

Last week was filled with special deliveries from, for and to the people I love most in this world. The package I sent to my son Matt arrived just in time for his 32nd birthday on Wednesday. I cried like a baby on Thursday when I opened a very special gift from a very special person back home in Tennessee. My nephew Charlie had a blast giving his daughter Caroline and his nephew Ahmed a science lesson with the dry ice that protected the famous Joe's KC Barbecue I sent him. And I was abundantly pleased with myself on Friday when the way cool gifts I had ordered for my son-in-law's upcoming birthday were delivered to my office. Different deliveries with different items for different people but all for the same reason, and that reason is love.

In thinking about last week's package bonanza, I took a little stroll down memory lane and thought about various cards and gifts I've received over the years and as I did, I realized something. It's never been what was inside the special deliveries that meant so very much to me ... even though what was inside was usually pretty freaking awesome. It was knowing that someone was thinking about me ... that I mattered enough to my family or my friends that they took time out of their busy lives to do something extra special just for me. It was, still is and will always be the love behind the delivery that matters most to me. Wait a sec ... I guess that means it is what's inside that matters most to me ... inside their hearts, that is.

You know what, friends? Life can be a real bitch sometimes, and it's awfully easy to let the tyranny of the urgent cause us to forget what's most important in life ... each other. Think about it ... think about it and then be someone's special delivery this week.










No comments: