Sunday, August 13, 2017

Remember Those Feathers?

If I had a dollar for every email I've received over the last four months about my lack of writing, I'd have more than enough money to fund the documentary my son and I have been working on for the past three years and retire to some gorgeous horse ranch in Montana and live out my golden years in style. Speaking of the documentary, "Not My Father's Child," if you haven't checked out the new trailer and the character vignettes of Mark, Nate and Dortha on our Kickstarter page, you really should. After seeing the news of what happened in Charlottesville, Virginia, yesterday ... the hate has to stop, friends, and I believe down to the very core of my soul that Nate, Mark and Dortha's journey from hate to hope will change lives.

I want you to know that I truly do appreciate all of your messages encouraging me to grab myself a cheese and mayo sandwich (minus the bread, of course) and climb back on up into the tree house and begin writing again. A special thanks to those of you who've been sending me suggestions on topics you think will rekindle my desire to write ... some of them have been, ummm, quite interesting to say the least. Suffice it to say that I'm almost 100 percent sure that, should I ever return to my more prolific days of writing, I will not be writing a post about toenail clippers.

For all the odd, somewhat frightening and perhaps even borderline insane ideas regarding possible topics I should write about, there has been one particular theme that has sparked my interest somewhat. Many of you have suggested that I should re-post the entries in various categories that stood out for some reason ... post with the most views; post I received the most messages about (two posts, one for most positive messages and one for most negative); post with the least views; post that received the most comments on the blog itself; post that generated the most Facebook interaction; and so on. The following note has had me pondering this idea for several weeks ... a note I received permission to share with you.

"Dear Terrie,

We've never met but I feel like I know you because of your beautifully written words in your blog. You are one of the rare writers who possesses both the courage and the ability to write honestly from your heart. I have soared with you, laughed with you, cried with you and sorrowed with you and I am honored to have been allowed to vicariously join you upon your path.

My heart is deeply saddened by your withdrawal from writing as your words have over the years been such a meaningful part of my days. I lost my husband to suicide seven years ago, thus I know the depths of darkness that depression can lead one into. My Benjamin had battled the disease since the days of his youth and was faithful to remain in counseling and follow his prescribed medication regimen. But, as you so artfully describe it, the wolf at the window finally broke through and devoured my Benjamin.

I know not of what despair or hurt has seemingly stolen your hardly fought after rise above the darkness, but I beg of you to return to those of us who so need your wisdom, your humor, your honesty and even your pain. Perhaps re-posting some of the posts that were dearest to your heart would be of help in restoring your heart. Perhaps once read again, your words will allow those of us who believe in you to respond in kind by sharing our words with you.

May God bless you, Terrie, as you are worthy of His blessing and His love. As you are the love of so many who stand at the ready to help you in any way we can.

Cynthia"

Perhaps it's quite telling that many of the posts which fall into the categories mentioned above are ones I wrote with guest bloggers ... more than a bit ironic for sure. So for you, dear Cynthia, and all of you who've mentioned the re-posting idea as perhaps being the ladder that will lead me back to the tree house, click the link below to see the post which received the most comments of any post since the beginning of this blog. I do feel, however, that I should tell you that I'm quite skeptical that this re-posting endeavor will be the means to the outcome you desire. But I guess it might be worth a shot. Why not, right?

December 31, 2014 --- "A Room Without Feathers"



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So good to have a post from you pop up in my feed once again! Your feathers post with your guest writer remains one of my all time favorites in your blog. Will she be joining you again on August 30? Oh yes there are many of us who anticipate that post each year and this is an anniversary that deserves a great celebrating. 5 years!!

Jess said...

It's been too long since you gals wrote together. Does this mean we can expect another joint post soon?

Anonymous said...

Ditto the two previous comments!

Jeannie said...

Wherefore art thou oh guest writer? Work your magic and get our Terrie back to writing for us again!

JHR said...

Teri, even when you're down, you lift me up with your honesty and your willingness to be transparant. Spill it and tell us what's up with you so we can help. Love to you.

Bruce said...

We'll take what we can get from you, Terri! Please write again or repost again or whatever you want to do just don't quit.

Anonymous said...

Terrie, please don't give up on writing but more importantly don't give up on yourself. Your wisdom and insight are valued by so many but so much more we value you for the wonderful caring and giving person you are. Without your light the world is a much darker place.

Anonymous said...

WE NEED TERRIE! WE NEED TERRIE! COME ON GUEST BLOGGERS GET HER WRITING AGAIN!!

Anonymous said...

It's been too long, Teri. Come back.