Thursday, October 6, 2016

Brad Squared

My thoughts and prayers tonight are with my friends who live along the southeastern coast as they face hurricane Matthew. You all know how terrified I am of storms ... I can't even begin to imagine how you guys are feeling. Just know that I am one of many praying not only for your safety but for peace and comfort as you weather the storm.

Though it's nothing like what my friends along the coast are experiencing, it's a stormy night here in Kansas as well. There have been a couple of times in the last hour that I thought for sure the wind was going to blow my little house down around me. And the worst part of the storms haven't even gotten here yet ... ugh. I really and truly am terrified of stormy weather which also makes me think I am really and truly insane because I live in Kansas. Why on earth would a person who is as afraid of thunderstorms as I am live right smack dab in the middle of thunderstorm and tornado land? Because he or she is really and truly insane, that's why.

I will say that I've learned a lot about storms since I moved to the Midwest more than 25 years ago, not the least of which is that it can be almost impossible to see the road ahead if you get caught in one. You can be tooling along on a calm sunny day thinking everything is hunky-dory and before you realize what's happening, the winds start howling, the skies turn black and the rain comes pouring down. In an instant, you go from feeling safe and secure to wondering if you'll live to see the light of another day. I've learned that when you find yourself in the midst of one of those big old gigantic storms, it's awfully easy to think you're going to be trapped inside that storm forever. 

On Monday evening I got a call from my son-in-law Barrett asking me if I'd consider doing a favor for a member of the church where he's the pastor. He explained to me that the young man is currently working 12 hours a day on the construction of the new Amazon distribution center in North Kansas City, and that he had been driving two hours each way every day back and forth to work. I'll spare you the details of the rest of my conversation with my kind-hearted son-in-law and my subsequent conversation with the young man himself, but I will tell you that as of Tuesday evening, I now have a temporary roommate for the next couple of months. And should my house sell during that time and I need to move, my roomie and I have already decided that he'll just move with me until his job in KC is over.

Now I know you're wondering what being in the middle of a storm has to do with my new house guest, and sorry, but you'll just have to keep on wondering. All I'll tell you is that my new house guest's arrival has brought some much-needed light into a very stormy time in my life. I know it sounds cliche, but he really is like a ray of sunshine and a breath of fresh air. His smile lights up my little house, and we've stayed up way too late for the last couple of nights talking about all kinds of different things. He would fight to the death to protect his children, and his love for his mom reminds me of the love my own kiddos have for me ... at least I hope they do anyway. His life hasn't been an easy one by any means, but there's a goodness in him that is absolutely undeniable. I'll be honest ... I was more than a little nervous about how I'd feel having someone staying here for a few weeks, but it has proven to be one of the best decisions I've made in a long, long time. Which means my son-in-law was absolutely right when he said, "I think you'll love this guy, Terrie, and I think this will be good for both of you." Yes, Barrett, I am publicly declaring for all the world to know that you were indeed very, very right ... this time.

So now I know you're wondering about the title of tonight's post ... this incredibly kind and respectful young man's name is Brad. He reminds me of another Brad I know ... another Brad who is truly a beacon of light in the midst of my storms.

Brad squared, friends ... Brad squared indeed.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have the best heart of anyone I know, Terrie. Meeting you some day is on my bucket list.