Sunday, November 2, 2008

Walking the Path

This afternoon, I grabbed my camera and headed to the walking path across the street from my house. My intention was to spend an hour or so taking pictures of the beautiful trees that are now an explosion of reds, yellows and oranges in their celebration of the fall season. I set up my tripod, framed up several shots and waited for the perfect lighting.

As I took photo after photo, I often had to pause as people passed through the line of my shot. An older couple walking hand in hand deep in conversation. A young woman out for an afternoon run. A teenage boy walking a large black dog. A young father pushing his son in a stroller. The more people who passed by, the more I began to wonder who they are and what their lives are like. Are they happy? Are they surrounded by friends and family who love them? Do they have jobs? And if so, are they satisfied with their work? Do they know Jesus? Are they certain of where they will spend eternity?

We all walk different paths in life, and we make choices each day that impact the paths we've chosen. Some days, I feel as if I've made the best decisions I can and that I am in the center of God's desire for my life. Other days, I feel as though I'm wandering along, not certain of what to do or which way to go. I'm thankful, so very thankful, that whether I'm having a good day or a not so good day, God always has me in the palm of His mighty hand and that He is the one who holds my future.

As I packed up my camera and tripod and walked toward home, I stopped along the path and offered up a prayer. A prayer of thanksgiving, a prayer of hope, a prayer of petition for those around me who aren't walking the path of God, a prayer offering my all in service to the One who died for me.

Oh, and the photos? They are awesome!

No comments: