Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Long Time, No Blog

I've discovered as I've aged that there are seasons in life ... at times, life blossoms like flowers in spring, grows like grass after summer showers, sheds unwanted items like leaves in the fall, or hibernates like bears on a cold winter's night.

Recently, I've experienced a new season in life by entering into the empty nest phase of parenting. My youngest child, my baby girl, moved into her own apartment, leaving my home to me and the dogs. It's been an adjustment after being a single parent for 14 years; the house is quiet, save the barking of the hounds. No music coming from the rooms upstairs, no televisions playing through the night, no one entering my room late at night to tell me about their day.

To say that I haven't had some sad days since my sons and daughter moved would be far from the truth. In fact, as they each made their way into the world to begin their adult lives, I've cried buckets as each one left the nest. But, it is the way God intended for things to be ... as parents, we raise our children to learn, to live, and to leave.

While I miss them, and the house feels lonely at times, I am learning to appreciate the good side to having the house to myself. I drink straight from the orange juice container without having to dirty a glass. I go for a walk every evening and meditate on the goodness of my Lord and the blessings He has graciously poured out upon me. I rarely turn on the television and have read several books instead.

I'm learning and I'm living ... by myself. And if I need someone to talk to other than the dogs, I've got a cell phone with friends and family as close as a call.

No comments: