Sunday, January 17, 2010

Through the Fog

For the past three mornings, I have awakened to the sight of dense fog blanketing our city. I've always thought that fog was kind of eery or spooky in an old horror movie sort of way. It is especially frightening to me to drive when the fog is so deep that it's hard to see the road or other cars ahead of me.

This week, a massive earthquake struck the small country of Haiti, causing untold death and devastation. Image after image of the unbelievable human suffering occurring there rolls across the television screen on an hourly basis, even days after the event occurred. In a country where poverty and disease were already major problems, the people now have to deal with so much more loss than ever before.

It's easy to change the channel as I sit in my comfortable living room in my small house that would be considered a mansion to many Haitians. It's easy to go about my daily life and not really think about the Haitians who are struggling to survive one more day ... without water or food or shelter. It's easy to tell myself that I "need" all the possessions I have.

What is hard is to listen to the voice of God whispering to me, calling to me, telling me to come out of the fog and pay attention to Him and to His children who are hurting. What is hard is to be willing to give up my "things" and go where He wants me to go. What is hard is allowing Him to give me a heart for the world, for the hurting, the homeless and the needy.

My prayer, my hope, my deepest longing is that I have the courage to follow the hard road ... to jump in and trust God to show me the next step ... to have the faith to know that He knows where the journey will lead and the road ahead ... to know that is all I need to know.

2 comments:

twila said...

That is one of the hardest things we do.

Unknown said...

I also have a heart for the homeless. Having been homeless myself, but not without family, I can honestly say I only saw a mere corner of what it is to be homeless. I'll never forget the line in a book called, "When there's no place like home." It was a recounting that the author used to feel upset when he looked in the refrigerator and there was no food... until he met a man who had no refrigerator because he had no home.