Thursday, January 13, 2011

Sweet Baby Girl

Ask any mother with more than one child about each one's birth and I can almost guarantee you that unless she was unconscious, she can recount (often in vivid detail) the similarities and differences between each child's entrance into the world. For example ... my oldest son Matt took his time in announcing his presence, keeping me in labor for over 13 hours. He was the one of my three children who came dangerously close to causing me to need a C-section because his cord was wrapped twice around his neck. Son number two, Brad, entered the scene in quite a different manner. He was born 10 minutes after I arrived at the hospital following only a few slight labor pains. In fact, Brad was almost born ... well ... I went to the bathroom after changing into a hospital gown, and he ... well ... suffice it to say that he was almost born in the toilet. My daughter Meghann made her debut in the most normal way of all three of my children. I was in labor for about six hours, and was able to deliver her by natural childbirth. Perhaps since she was my third child, and she followed Brad by only 18 months, God gave her to me on Mother's Day so that I would never forget her birthday.

Perhaps another universal truth when it comes to mothers and children is that the hopes and prayers and dreams a mother has for her child begin the moment she discovers that a little life is growing within her. You begin to wonder if the baby is a boy or a girl, if they will be healthy, what their personalities will be like, what path they will choose to follow when they grow up. You hope for high school graduations, college diplomas, and careers that are fulfilling. You pray that they will have a strong and deep relationship with God, that they will desperately seek His will and follow His direction, and that they will immerse themselves in His Word. You dream of weddings, their first home, and future grandchildren.

With all three of my children now adults, I've been blessed to see many of those hopes and prayers and dreams that I had for them as babies come to fruition over the last 26 plus years. I've seen each of them endure some hurts and go through some deep pain as well. I've watched them grow and learn life lessons, and I've seen them fall down and get up and try again. And I will soon watch my little girl walk down the aisle and marry her Prince Charming. Yep, her longtime boyfriend Barrett asked Meghann on Christmas Eve to become his wife. They haven't officially set a date yet, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if there is an early summer wedding.

A couple of weeks ago, I went with Meghann to watch her try on wedding gowns. I watched her walk out of the dressing area and step up onto the platform in the store, and I began to weep. As Meghann said, "Mom, don't cry," in my mind I saw a little blonde-haired two-year-old girl after surgery on her ears cuddled against my chest with her night-night blanket. I saw a 5-year-old riding her pink tricycle down the basement stairs. I saw her in elementary school playing on the playground. I saw her participating in junior high basketball games. I saw her with two broken arms when she accompanied me on a speaking engagement and garnered lots of sympathy from the women present at the event. I saw her graduating from high school. I saw her in her classroom working with children with autism. I saw my sweet baby girl as a beautiful young woman shopping for her wedding gown.

Happy engagement, sweet baby girl ... happy, happy engagement. Happy wedding to come ... and happy marriage for the rest of your life. Happiness to you, my sweet baby girl ... all the happiness that life can bring to you ... I love you!

1 comment:

allie :^) said...

ah, i wondered when this one was due to arrive!!! :) congrats to you, mother of the bride!!!! and may i also say, still lol about brad almost making his grand entrance into the world in a hospital toilet suite! :) yowza!!! thank goodness you made it out of the water closet just in time. ;)