Thursday, July 7, 2016

Human vs. Walker

It has finally happened. Though in my own defense, I've stood firm for a really long time ... way longer than tons of other people have. When everyone around me was doing it, I stuck to my principles and refused to follow the masses. I was strong enough to not give a rip what anyone else thought about my decision to abstain. They could call me a prude or an old fuddy-duddy or say I was out of touch with the times or even ... horror of horrors ... they could even say that I wasn't cool, but I didn't care. I didn't even have to think twice when I was encouraged to participate ... my answer was always the same ... "No, I won't." Until last weekend ... last weekend, I stopped fighting and gave up. Yep, that's right ... in a moment of weakness I caved under the pressure and started watching "The Walking Dead." And now I can't stop. 

One quick sidenote: I know my sons will naturally assume that they were the ones who finally convinced me to join in on watching the zombie apocalypse series on Netflix. So this is for just the two of you, my dear sweet zombie-loving sons ... it wasn't you who broke down my resolve about not watching a show that was absolutely guaranteed to give me nightmares. It was your baby sister who convinced me that I needed to give the snarling, blood-thirsty, uglier than sin zombies a chance ... just thought you boys should know that little tidbit of information. I'm almost finished with Season 2, so please don't message me with any spoilers ... I still have four seasons to watch before Season 7 debuts in the fall. And yes, unless I'm a zombie myself by then, I fully intend to watch Season 7 when it airs.

Now I know some of you are probably thinking, "The person who has more irrational fears than anyone I know is hooked on a show about zombies ... not a good idea." And to those of you who are thinking that, please let me assure you that I know zombies aren't real ... geez, everyone knows zombies aren't real. We all know that I would never go out for a walk after dark last night and see two people sitting on the trail and think they were zombies and grab Ollie and run the other way. No, no, no, I would never do that ... of course I wouldn't. But seriously ... they could have been zombies ... it was dark and we ran away so I can't be sure they weren't. Hmmmm ... hang on a sec while I check to make sure all the doors and windows are locked. But I'm not scared ... nope, I'm not scared because everyone knows zombies aren't real. They're not, are they?

I think it's interesting that the zombies on the show are called walkers ... not zombies, but walkers. At first, I thought walkers was such an odd choice for a name for the not dead dead people, but the more episodes I've watched, the more I think it's actually quite brilliant. Why do I think walkers is the perfect name for the not dead dead zombies on the show? Because it makes me wonder how many people around me are walkers ... people who want only to satisfy their own hunger or quench their own thirst with no regard for the needs of others. All you have to do is watch the news ... there are walkers all around us, friends. Walkers with no regard for human life ... walkers with no conscience ... walkers with no concern for anyone but themselves ... walkers who will stop at nothing to get what they want ... walkers who have no heart. 

But ... but ... but ... but then there are the humans ... thank God there are the humans. The story line of the TV series revolves around a group of humans who come together in an effort to stay alive. These people who were strangers before the zombie apocalypse band together in the fight against the walkers ... they know they are stronger together than they are alone. These humans protect each other and care for each other and help each other. Even when they disagree on the whys or the hows or the what ifs or the whens, they stand together side by side in the fight against the walkers ... willing to fight to the death to protect their own. Think about it ... if it were not for the humans, those who are willing to sacrifice themselves for another ... if it were not for the humans, there would be no hope. And if there is no hope, the walkers will surely consume us all.

So who are you? Are you a human who puts the good of others ahead of your own? Are you a human who protects and cares for and helps others? Are you a human who stands behind the people in your life? Are you a human with a good and loving and compassionate and loyal heart? Or are you a walker? Are you a walker who doesn't think twice about ripping the heart out of those who aren't like you? Are you a walker who is driven by your hunger and thirst for more power, more money, more stuff, more success? 

So who are you? Are you a human or a walker? Think about it, friends ... a life without a heart for others is a life without living. So who are you? Are you a human or are you a walker? 

No comments: