Sunday, January 27, 2019

The Living List

Since all the weather forecasters here in KC seem to be on the same page regarding the frigid arctic blast that's heading our way tomorrow, and considering the fact that last week was bitterly cold as well, I decided to take full advantage of the balmy 40-degree weather  we had today and take Ollie the wiener dog for an extra-long walk. Though we normally pass at least a few other residents from the apartment complex where we live, both human and canine alike, today was one of those rare days when we didn't see another single person or dog as we walked. Which meant I had plenty of time to think as Ollie and I sauntered along, and I do mean plenty of time and I do mean sauntered … Ollie was extra determined to take his sweet time and be super diligent in peeing on every post, tree, curb and lingering mound of snow that we passed. He was pretty much the happiest wiener dog on the planet today … the happiest tail-wagging, air-sniffing, peeing-on-everything, meandering little wiener dog on the planet. And truth be told, I was pretty doggone happy myself.

I thought about a lot of things as my faithful little dog and I walked today … big things and little things and more than a few in-between things. But most of all, I thought about the new list I recently started. It's not a bucket list, though in some cases I suppose maybe it should be. It's more of a recognition list, I think … a list of all the people and things I recognize I'm thankful for that I used to take for granted. That's definitely a positive outcome I've noticed since having the stroke … I'm so very much more thankful and grateful than I was before, and it's changing my life in a good way. In fact, I've told several folks, my kids included, that in many ways I think the stroke was one of the best things that could have ever happened to me. I know that sounds weird, but it's true. Having said that, let's get on to my list … the beginning of it anyway. This will absolutely, totally, completely, beyond the shadow of any doubt be an ongoing project … a living list, if you will … a list to be built upon and expanded … very much a "too be continued" project. Some of my thankfuls are big and some are small but they are all worthy of gratitude. But for now, here's a sampling … a jumping off place just in case you want to get started on a living list of your own.

My children … all six of them
My grandchildren … all six of them
Flannel pajama pants
Flannel sheets
Flannel shirts
Warm fires on cold nights
Kisses from my grandkids
Laughter
Hugs
Electricity
Toothbrushes
Soap
Hot showers
The sound of the wind
Wiener boy
Compression socks
Comfortable shoes
Iced tea
Cheese
Blue jeans
Converse sneakers
Shorts
The smell of coffee
My job
Friendship
Tree houses
Markers
Blankets
Rain
Snow
Giant glasses of cold water
Ice cubes
Eggs over-medium
Grandkid art
Photos
Neighbors
My apartment
Music
Medicine
Compassion
Doctors
Nurses
Blackberries
Raspberries
Blueberries
Not being blind
Learning to see around the blind spot
My car
Stocking caps
Gloves
Airplanes
Grocery stores
Forks
Breathing
Knowing how to type
Notes from friends
Presents
Trees
My bed
Love
The squirrels that sit on my deck and make Ollie go crazy
My toes
Having legs
Kindness
Being able to walk
Windows
Knowledge
Breakfasts and lunches and dinners with my kids and grandkids
Every moment I'm blessed to spend with the people I love
Forgiveness
Grace
Mercy
Backpacks
Awesome white hair
Wrinkles
Creeks
Sunsets
Chirping birds
Eyes
Ears
Talking
Sleeping
Clean towels
My pillow

Like I said, big things and small things and more than a few in-between things … and absolutely, totally, completely, beyond the shadow of any doubt, as long as I'm alive and breathing to be continued ...







No comments: