Sunday, March 9, 2008

Coming Home

A couple of weekends ago, my little house became a flurry of activity. My son Matt, his wife Becca, her brother and his wife, my son Brad and his girlfriend arrived to join my daughter Meghann and I for some long overdue family time. It was the first chance for us to all be together since Christmas, when we spent five days together in Colorado. Also present that day were my three granddogs, Julie, Peanut and Andy, chasing each other and playing like the wild animals they truly are.

As I sat on the couch and listened to the conversations among these young adults, my mind couldn't help but race back to the days when they were young. Listening to Matt's wife tease him about resuming his role of "king" the minute he walked through my kitchen door caused me to recall times when he would take charge and direct his brother and sister to do their chores and help around the house. Brad's constant chattering sent my mind racing back to him sitting in the back seat of the car talking nonstop about fire engines, spotted dogs and trains. Hearing Meghann stand her ground and state her opinions with her brothers made me remember years of spirited discussions among my three children, often ending with the lament of, "The boys never agree with me, Mom."

The time together always passes too quickly, and after a few hours, the house returned to the quietness that is the life that Meghann and I now share. I've never told my sons, but I often fight back the tears as hugs and kisses accompany saying goodbye to them once again. It is part of the circle of life, watching your children grow up and move on to start their own lives. And it is good and right, and I'm very proud of the adults my children are becoming. The tears are tears of gratitude and thankfulness for our time together, for sons and a daughter-in-law and daughter who want to spend time with me, who love me, and who are beginning to take care of me as I took care of them for so many years.

And so I look forward to the next time we are together, laughing and sharing and playing. My heart is beating a little faster just thinking about the next time they all come home again.

No comments: