Sunday, February 1, 2009

Losing Myself

Many weekends, I travel to various locations to speak at women's retreats after working a full-time job during the regular work week. I truly enjoy these weekend events and know that being a speaker, a vessel for God to use, is my true calling in life. My regular job is one that pays the bills and one that I enjoy, but there's a difference between a job and a calling.

While I love traveling and sharing with other sisters in the Lord, I also love the weekends when I am home, caught up on all of my household chores and can just relax. Sometimes I read a book, spend time writing or simply watch a movie or two. There is nothing like losing myself in a good story or movie, allowing my mind to become a part of what I am reading or watching.

This has been one such weekend, and I was pleasantly surprised to find one of my favorite movies on television last night. I never tire of watching the film, Dances With Wolves, even though I am able to quote a great deal of the dialogue before it is spoken. Each time I watch the film, I always get lost in the story of boundaries being broken, of love, of acceptance, of family and friendship.

I think I would do well to live such a simple life, a life unencumbered by the trappings that the world teaches are so important for success today. I think I would do well to let God lead my every step and not the influences that surround me each day. I think I would do well to love my family with a pure and faithful love, one that would lay down my very life for them. I think I would do well to treasure my friends and to value the gift of their friendship in a true and honorable way.

Near the close of Dances With Wolves, as Kevin Costner prepares to leave the village, he and Kicking Bird say their goodbyes with these words. "We come far, you and me. I will not forget you." Those words, as they always do after watching the movie, will roll around in my mind for several days as I think of the goodbyes I've said to friends through the years.

So, here's to quiet weekends at home, to good movies and old friends, and to the times when I can slow down and lose myself for a little while. And one more thing ... here's to popcorn, one of God's greatest gifts!


No comments: