Friday, October 29, 2010

Bird on a Wire

Please allow me to begin this post by saying that I am well aware that I've written several pieces lately that deal with winged creatures ... and though a part of me feels that I should begin this post with an apology for what could be seen by some as a lack of material or inspiration, I believe it is quite the opposite. I believe that God is trying to teach me, and perhaps some of you readers of this blog as well, some deep and lasting lessons from my friends with feathers. You see, it is often in the repetition that we see the truth, recognize the insight, understand the meaning, soak in the teaching that is intended for us and directed our way. And ... being open, honest, real and transparent ... sometimes God simply must use repetitive events to get His message through my thick skull. There ... I've said it ... I'm stubborn and bull-headed on occasion and don't always listen or pay attention as I should.

It's full-blown fall here in Kansas City ... the leaves are changing colors; there's a chill in the air; the smoky aroma of wood-burning fireplaces wafts through my neighborhood; and one of the truest signs of fall's arrival ... the birds are beginning their southern trek. Growing up in Tennessee, I don't remember seeing large flocks of birds migrating to a warmer climate, perhaps because it's relatively mild in the winter in southeastern Tennessee. But here in KC, it's one of the things that has fascinated me for each of the 20 plus years I've lived here.

A couple of mornings ago on my daily commute to work, I pulled up to a traffic light and my eyes were drawn to the power line across the street. The line was literally filled from end to end with birds, sitting peacefully atop the wire as it swayed a bit in the gusty Kansas wind. I was completely mesmerized by the performance of these birds, so much so that the driver in the car behind me honked to encourage me to move forward through the green light which had escaped my attention. As I proceeded down the street and pulled into the parking lot at my office, my mind remained captivated by the birds along the power line, and as I entered the building, I was struck with a thought ... the power surging through those lines was intense, enormous, life-threatening under certain circumstances. And yet, the birds were unafraid, relaxed, comfortable and safe in their perch high above the street.

Settling in at my desk, I realized that God was again teaching me, prodding me, deepening my understanding of Him and His love for me through the display I had just witnessed by the birds. God's power is so far beyond my comprehension, and I so underestimate the width or depth or height of that power ... power that controls the entire universe, and power that controls every breath I breathe. Power that He offers to share with me ... power that He invites me to call upon ... power that He pours out in my life even when I don't recognize it ... power that surpasses all of my human understanding.

Driving home tonight, God reminded me of His lesson as I noticed a flock of birds flying overhead ... His power ... overwhelming, fathomless ... His power ... wide and deep and high ... His power ... His unimaginable power. 

1 comment:

allie :^) said...

well, they say third time's a charm, right? not that you struck out with the first two...not at all! :) i was particularly struck by the writing in this one. dare i say it? masterful. i think your deeper insights, particulary in nature of late, directly mirror or reflect your deepening relationship with god. perhaps you are more aware of his presence because you are so in tune with him. little wonder you see so much in the simplicty and beauty of nature that others miss. now, name me a nancy drew book that was all about birds! :) love ya girlie! :)