Monday, November 8, 2010

Pulling Rank

When my children were teenagers, for some reason that escapes my comprehension, they suddenly thought we were on equal ground ... they thought they had as much say so in the way things were done in our home or the establishment of rules as I did. I remember several huge battles of wills and minds, many of which ended with me completely exasperated with my arguing, obstinate teens and hearing myself utter the words, "I'm pulling rank on you, and you will do what I say whether you like it or not."

It's funny to me how God often teaches me lessons years later, and He's done just that over the last few days. I never really thought about how humbling it must have been for my children to have me pull rank on them, to force them to do what I knew at the time was best for them, what ultimately was for their own good or safety or protection. But now, years later, I completely understand the humility that comes from needing to have rank pulled on me from time to time ... to have others recognize when I need someone to step in and force me to do what is best for me ... what keeps me safe ... what protects me.

I can't help but think of all the times in my life when God has pulled rank on me, of all the times He so needed to pull rank on me because I wasn't listening to His voice, following His will or seeking His face. And while those times were difficult in the moment, beyond humbling, and often physically and mentally exhausting ... when I reach the other side, my heart is filled with thanksgiving and gratitude that He cares enough for me to do what He needs to do in order to rescue me from myself and mold me into the woman He desires for me to become.

So, here's to pulling rank on this old stubborn gal ... thank you to those of you who are the hands and feet of the Master to me ... those who make me eat when I don't realize I need to, those who force me to drink when I'm not thirsty, those who tell me to get praying when I don't feel like talking to God, those who love me when I'm not at all lovable. And thank you most of all to my Lord ... for chasing me when I try to run away, for wrapping Your arms around me when I don't want a hug, for showering me with grace when nothing in me deserves it.

 

1 comment:

allie :^) said...

being a parent is a glorious thing. god reveals so much to us along the way, at every age and through every stage! :)