Saturday, November 6, 2010

You Asked for It

Those of you who are avid readers of this blog may remember that a couple of months ago my son Brad issued a challenge to me ... to write less about having diabetes and more about the wonders of life. Being open, honest, real and transparent, his words kind of stung a little ... but ... he was right on target in his encouragement. I was struggling at the time to deal with all the changes that were taking place in my life, and the daily grind of trying to find the right balance was beginning to consume me. The truth is that I had a difficult time focusing on anything other than getting through a day and night without a blood sugar drop, and I was missing out on the people and things that are really important. 

It's hard at times as a parent to admit that my children have better perspective or more wisdom than I do, but again, Brad was more than correct in discerning that I needed to search deeper, to listen harder, to think less about my physical condition and so much more about the people I've been blessed to share this remarkable journey of life with. Hopefully, Sir Bradley, since I know that you faithfully read this blog ... which, by the way, totally touches my heart, kiddo ... hopefully, you've found that I have honored your challenge. Now having said that, over the last three weeks, I've received a ton of emails asking for an update on my health and I feel the need to respond to those requests.

I stumbled upon a quote recently on a diabetes forum that I think sums up what it's like to live with an illness that changes from day to day and sometimes even moment to moment. "This is a process, a journey. No two days are ever going to be the same. It's kind of like wrestling an octopus ... some days your two arms alone are enough to win, and some days you need some extra arms to battle the eight that are trying to drain the life out of you." Those words perfectly describe my days ... most days, my arms are wrapped tightly around the waving, squirming eight of diabetes and I'm winning the fight, and other days, without help, the eight would certainly take me down.

For the most part, I feel good and am doing well. My weight loss ... which many of you have specifically asked about ... seems to be leveling off, with a total loss thus far of 112 pounds. I bought some new jeans last week ... six sizes smaller than I wore at this time a year ago. I continue to walk every day, but due to my ongoing issues with low blood sugar, I don't walk as far or as fast as I used to. I've had a huge answer to prayer in the last couple of weeks ... my "drinking switch" has been flipped back on, and I've been able to consume between 60 to 80 ounces of fluid most days. My state of dehydration had reached a pretty critical level, so again, this is a giant answer to not only my own prayers, but those of countless family and friends who have been bombarding the throne with requests on my behalf. I had to have blood work done last Thursday and am waiting on the results from those tests to determine if perhaps I need to add an insulin injection to my oral medication routine.

The last year has been a journey for sure, one that at times has felt like a warm and sunny walk on a peaceful beach and at other times like climbing Mt. Everest naked in a raging blizzard. But along the way, God has done some remarkable work in my heart and soul, and that my friends, is the most important thing I can share with you in this post. He has taught me that He is with me ... no matter what I've done, no matter how I feel, no matter where I am ... He is always as close as calling out His name. He's broken me, humbled me and stripped me of my pride ... and a year ago, I would have never written these words ... that breaking, humbling and stripping has been the best thing that ever happened to me. You see, it's when I am at my weakest that He truly is at His strongest.

So, friends, there's the update you've asked for, and please know how much I appreciate your concern and your continued prayers. God is ever faithful, ever true, ever near ... my prayer is that I'll be faithful, true and near to Him ... that I'll seek Him with all my heart and live in a manner that honors and glorifies Him, because that, my friends, at the end of each day, is all that truly matters, all that truly counts, all that truly satisfies.

God bless each one of you ... and thanks for reading!

1 comment:

allie :^) said...

love this post. so many meaningful words in this one, but i have to confess i can't stop giggling at climbing mt. everest naked in a blizzard! :) wonderful perspective as always my friend. and also wonderful that your children are mature companions who care enough about you to challenge you too... :)