Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Snowmageddon

Growing up in southeastern Tennessee meant that winters were generally relatively mild, and there was very little snow. When there was even the threat of flurries, my hometown of Chattanooga would close down ... schools, churches, businesses ... literally, the whole town closed down. And if there was actual snowfall, say, oh, an inch or two, the town would remain closed for several days.

I remember the first big snow after we moved to Kansas City after a short stint in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. My three children had their faces plastered against the dining room window in amazement since they had never seen snow before. Matt was six; Brad was three; and Meghann was two, and the look on their little faces as the fluffy white stuff fell from the sky was priceless. We went sledding, built a snowman and made snow ice cream. I was a stay-at-home mom at the time, and I loved the snow as much as my kiddos did, in large part because I didn't have to drive on the slick and dangerous streets. Now that I have to commute downtown to work every day, my love for snow has greatly diminished.

Enter today, February 1, 2011. The weather guys have been talking about the storm that is now upon us for days, calling it a monster storm, worst snowstorm in a 24-hour period for almost 50 years, crippling, devastating, Blizzard of Oz, and my personal favorite ... Snowmageddon. For the first time that I can recall in the eight years I've worked at my current job, the owners encouraged us to stay home and work online rather than risk coming into the office. I must say that I think I could adjust quickly to working from home while sitting on my couch in my pajamas with my big dog Julie curled up next to me.

Gazing out my living room window, watching the snow pile up, shivering even though I have on three layers of clothing, I can't help but wonder at the awesome power of God. Even when I don't always feel Him, even when I don't always seek Him, even when I don't always follow Him ... He is there, and He is in control. He knows my deepest thoughts, feels my greatest joy, sees my saddest sorrow ... He is there, and He is in control. Just as He has the power to release the snow from the heavens, He has the power to guide and direct my life. Just as He shelters me from the storm that is raging outside today, He shelters me from the storms that often rage within my heart.

So bring on Snowmageddon today ... use this day of still and quiet whiteness out my window, Lord ... use it to draw me to You, to warm my soul, to restore my mind, to heal me from the inside out.

No comments: