Saturday, February 12, 2011

Winded

So last night I was walking at the mall, and I realized something. Something big. And yes, it's something more than the realization that in the winter months, I am a mall walker. It's OK, though ... for those of you who don't know me in person, I'm a "gray hair," so I fit right in. But, I digress. I was walking along at a fairly decent pace, and it struck me that I wasn't the least bit winded. Not even a little tiny bit winded. No gasping for air, no heavy breathing, nothing. Just a normal, regular breathing pattern, even though I had been walking for almost an hour.

I'm sure that you are wondering why on earth this is significant or worthy of a blog post, but I promise that there's a lesson coming. A lesson for me, anyway, and hopefully for someone else out there in the blog-reading universe. You see, when I first starting walking over a year ago with my fat little wiener dog, J.R., it was difficult for me to walk even 15 minutes at a very slow pace. And during those 15 minutes, I struggled to breathe with every step. I was beyond out of shape and had not exercised for many, many years. I knew, however, that I had to walk for J.R.'s health, so I kept on walking and as many of you know, was eventually diagnosed with diabetes.

Last night I couldn't help but recall those early days of walking and how very difficult they were for me on a physical level. But I also couldn't help but remember how deeply God touched my heart on a spiritual level as I trudged along with my little dog. Here's the thing ... here's the lesson ... I had to walk through pain, through difficulty in breathing, through some really stormy weather in order to get healthier, to lose a bunch of weight, to come to see my God in a whole new light.

The truth is that sometimes life is just hard. Sometimes it's hard to breathe. Sometimes it's hard to keep walking. Sometimes it takes every ounce of willpower and strength you have to persevere and not give up. Sometimes bad things happen to good people. That's life, though, and that's when you need to walk harder and longer.

My prayer is that when I'm winded ... when I'm too tired to take another step ... when I don't have the strength to walk alone ... I'll let my Lord carry me, hold me and protect me.

4 comments:

Shasty said...

Great message.

Anonymous said...

Walk Hard, Hard.
Down lifes rocky road
Walk bold, hard.
That's my creed my code.

I've been sworned and slandered and ridiculed too.
Had to struggle every day my whole life through.
Seen my share of the worst that this world can give.
But I still got a dream and a burnin' rage to live.

Walk hard, hard
When they say "Your all done."
Walk bold, hard
Though they say "Your not the one."

Even if you've been told time and time again
That your always gonna lose and your never gonna win.
Gotta keep that vision in your minds eyes
When your standing on top of a mountain high.

You know when I was a boy
Folks used to say to me
"slow down Dewey, don't walk so hard"
And I used to tell them
"lifes a race and I'm in it to win it,
And I'll walk as damn hard as I please."

When I meet my maker on my dyin' day
Gonna look him in the eyes and by god I'll say
"I gave my word and my word was good,
I took it in the face and I walked as hard as I could."

Brad said...

^ That was me above.

allie :^) said...

wow! the first word that comes to mind is AMEN. this post really spoke to me. cuz sometimes life is just hard. sometimes there is no finding any good reason, sometimes things just happen that bring us to our knees. i hope i'm mall walking and full of deep breaths soon!!!! :)