Monday, November 26, 2012

Shop It Up

When I was in college, I went to lots and lots and lots of parties. And as well as I can recall, I think I enjoyed going to them and even had fun. I also remember going to parties as an adult, and those were pleasant experiences as well. I'm not sure when or why I developed such an aversion to parties ... I think perhaps it began when my kids began to move out. I found myself feeling more and more uncomfortable in the party atmosphere and more and more alone. In fact, for the last couple of years, I've only been to a very few events of any kind ... church or work or friend-related. I've spent a lot of time over the past two years going to work and coming home and sitting in my house with the blinds drawn and the lights off.

In the 10 years I've been at my job, I've never once attended a holiday party ... seriously, in 10 years, I've not gone to a single office winter event, not a single one. I really haven't participated in many after-work activities at all, not going-away parties, not ball games, not happy hours. It isn't that I don't like my co-workers ... I've written before about how much we are like a family at work, and the folks there have certainly rallied around me during the tough times of life. And over the last few months, they have proven time and time again that their love and concern for me is unconditional, deep and sincere. The truth is that one of the big reasons I've never attended a holiday party is because they are fancy affairs, and I had no clue what to wear. You all know how much I loathe shopping in general, and the thought of shopping for dressy, cocktail party attire almost makes me have a heart attack.

I'm not sure why, but it's a big deal this year to the people I work with for me to come to the party. They've been telling me for two or three weeks how much they want me to attend ... yep, no clue as to why they want me to come, but they've made it abundantly clear that I need to be there on Friday night. I knew the instant I caved in and said I would consider attending the party that I needed some serious help in the shopping department, so I enlisted the aid of a gal in my office who has a great sense of style and who loves, loves, loves to shop. She graciously agreed to meet me at a clothing store to help me put together something to wear should I attend the party, and though it pains me to admit it, it actually was quite fun and it took a ton of pressure off of me ... all I had to do was watch in utter amazement as she went from rack to rack choosing various items of clothing, step into a dressing room, walk out and get her opinion, and eventually pay and leave the store. No wandering aimlessly for hours on end searching for clothing that is completely foreign to me ... no torment in trying to figure out what in the heck is the appropriate attire for a fancy party ... no looking at myself in a dressing room mirror feeling like a fish out of water.

So I now have a classy, sharp, dressy outfit to wear Friday evening should I muster up the courage to actually go to the party. While I know it's hard for all of you to believe, I shopped it up ... well, kind of, I suppose. And even though my shopping prowess is more than a bit debatable, there is one thing that cannot be questioned or doubted in any way ... I'm grateful for friends who continue to speak truth to me, friends who stay not only during the happy times but through the sad as well, friends who laugh and love and shop it up. 

No comments: