Saturday, January 18, 2014

She Changed Me

Sometimes I wonder how many people I've met over the course of my 54 years of life ... so many people ... so many wonderful and amazing people ... far too many to count. Lest you think I'm looking at all those folks through rose-colored glasses, please allow me to readily acknowledge that not all the people I've met ... well, suffice it to say that I've met a few not so wonderful and amazing people down through the years. But, for the most part, I'm blessed to know and to have known some truly remarkable people ... as I type those words, I'm reminded anew that the things that have made my life rich and full and sweet aren't things at all. I read a quote the other day that said, "A life lived without the formation of relationships with others isn't a life lived, but merely an existence sustained." There's a great big old ton of truth to be gleaned from those words ... a great big old flipping ton of truth.

As I'm sure is true for most people, I was closer to some folks more so than others ... it's natural that a person develop deeper friendships or relationships with certain people while forming more casual ones with others. I can also say that there are some people who have had a greater impact on my life than others ... and again, I think it's safe to say that's probably true for most folks. But then ... then there are those people who belong in a category all to themselves ... the "people who changed me forever" category. People like my children and my extended family and my closest friends ... people who changed me forever by teaching me in ways I never dreamed possible what unconditional love is ... people who changed me forever by showing me what it really means to sacrifice while expecting nothing in return ... people who changed me forever by modeling compassion, loyalty, determination, strength, commitment and forgiveness in their truest and deepest forms ... people who changed me forever by shining so very brightly in the darkest of nights.

My young friend Lents is one of those people ... one of the inner circle, changed me forever people. Looking back, I'm not quite sure how we became such good friends, but I'm eternally thankful that we did. I'm old enough to be her mom, but I think that only serves to make us better friends ... every now and then, I can dig deep and come up with a couple of words of life experience wisdom for her, and she often teaches me what's cool and hip (like Spotify and Instagram and leaving your shirt untucked when you wear a sweater over it) and what's not (like wearing my sunglasses on a cord around my neck while I'm at work ... that's nerdy, not cool, by the way ... or printing Mapquest directions to find where I'm going instead of using the Google maps app on my phone). While my coolness factor has increased a gazillion-fold because of Lents, it's her heart of compassion and acceptance and love for others that has changed me forever. It's her way of somehow knowing when I'm having a rough day and making the time to seek me out, give me a hug and remind me I'm loved that has changed me forever. It's her strong and courageous never give up attitude that has changed me forever. It's seeing her love for her family and her husband and her gigantic dog that has changed me forever. Yep ... she's one of those people alright ... one of the inner circle, changed me forever people.

Yesterday was my young friend's last day of work at SHS, and just the thought of not seeing her each day brings tears to my eyes and a sinking feeling to my heart. I am really going to miss her ... I'm going to miss her so very much. I'm proud of her for stepping out and embracing a new adventure ... there's not a doubt in my mind that she will be a huge success in everything she does. So ... this one's for you, Lentsy  ... I love you, kiddo, and I wish you only the very best that life has to offer. Knowing you has made me a far better person ... you've changed me forever by being my friend.

No comments: