Monday, March 17, 2014

Tell Them ... Tell Them ... Tell Them

Those of you who are parents will readily identify with the following statement ... I will never forget the first time I held each of my three children. I remember Matt's scowl and his deeply furrowed brow ... that boy was born thinking. Brad with his round little head and his howling wail ... the whole hospital knew when he arrived. And Meg was simply beautiful ... she stole the hearts of the doctors and nurses right away. Those first few moments as my children began their lives was so very precious ... watching them take their first breaths, feeling their little fingers around mine, holding them close to my heart. Nope ... I will never forget the first time I held each of my three kiddos ... never ever. And tonight, perhaps more than I ever have, I am so very thankful for Matt and Brad and Meghann ... so very, very, very thankful for my children.

My heart is so very heavy tonight ... one of my dearest friends lost her adult son in a tragic car accident on Saturday evening. A son, a brother, a father, an uncle ... a good man gone far too soon. Ever since I read my friend's message yesterday morning telling me of her loss, my heart has been burdened for her and her entire family. The depth of the pain they are feeling is unimaginable to me. Listening to my friend last night as she cried in gut-wrenching sobs, I felt helpless ... I so wanted to reach through the phone and wrap my arms around her and tell her how sorry I am for her loss.

Tonight, my heart aches for my friend and her husband, and for their entire family. Tonight, my prayers are for them to find rest and comfort. Tonight, I am keenly aware of the true brevity of life. Tonight, I understand anew the importance of not leaving things unsaid ... of telling those I love just how very much I love them ... of caring for one another ... of listening to one another ... of loving one another. 

Tonight, friends ... tonight, tell them you love them ... tell the ones you love just how much you love them ... tell them ... tell them ... tell them. 

Love you guys ... love you very much.

No comments: