Saturday, September 27, 2014

You 'Member, Ghee?

For as much as I consider myself to be in pretty decent physical shape for a mid-50s gal, this morning I discovered that there are muscles in my body which have quite possibly never been used before. I knew the moment I rolled over in bed that today was going to be a heavy-duty Advil kind of day ... every single solitary muscle in my body, both used and unused, screamed out to take the day off from any form of movement or exertion. Slowly creeping out of bed and heading toward the shower, I said to myself, "Being a Ghee is not for sissies ... at least being the kind of Ghee I am determined to be isn't for sissies anyway." A long hot shower followed by the precious voice of my little Boo saying, "Ghee? You weady to play wif Boo now?" put my aching muscles in their place and got me pumped for a full day of Boo time as Matt and Becca readied themselves to go to Calgary for the day to take care of Amelie's citizenship paperwork.

I had planned to take Boo for a bus ride to her favorite bookstore this morning followed by lunch at a cute little restaurant, just the two of us. But the poor little gal had a very upset tummy through the night last night, so we had to dial our outing back to a short walk to a local pet shop followed by a stop at a specialty grocer for some Honey Bunny crackers and bottled water. On the way to the stores, we sang songs and talked about flowers and birds, and we counted houses and watched the train go in the tunnel on one side of the road and come out on the other. We saw an ambulance and a school bus and lots and lots of cars. I kept stopping to check on her in the stroller until she finally said, "Ghee, you need a stop stopping and walk faster." Have I mentioned how much I love her?

It was when we were walking back home that Coraline said, "Ghee, you 'member we are going to watch Frozen after Boo goes night-night. You 'member, Ghee?" Tears filled my eyes as I realized the significance of what my sweet granddaughter was asking me ... she was asking me if I remembered I had made a promise to her the day I arrived that she and I would watch Frozen together on the day her mom and dad went to Calgary ... my granddaughter was holding me accountable to honor the promise I had made to her earlier in the week. With her innocent and adorable question, "You 'member, Ghee?" Coraline taught me a gigantic lesson about how important my words can truly be to someone else ... especially when that someone else is my granddaughter.

So ... 'member when I said I might not blog much while I'm in Canada? I'm keeping a list of all my ideas and wonderful stories that are blog-worthy, and I'll post as I have time or when I return to Kansas. Until then, 'member this, friends ... there is no better cure on earth for a case of the blues or the uns or the funks than love. 'Member that, friends ... 'member that for the rest of your lives.

No comments: