Thursday, March 26, 2015

What Andrew Says

As I was driving home from work this evening, I found myself wishing I would have kept a journal of all the people I've worked with during my almost 13 years at SHS. Not just a journal of their names or what positions they held within the company, but a journal of who they are as people. I wish I would have kept a journal of the conversations we had in front of the fireplace or in the kitchen or on a noon-time walk outside the building or in a conference room or as they sat in the chair next to my quote post. If only I had known the depth of meaning those conversations would hold for me later on ... I so wish I would have kept a journal. Thirteen years is a long time, and I've seen a lot of people come and go over those 13 years, from interns to retirees, each one of them with their own stories to tell ... each one of them unique and special in his or her own way ... each one of them with their own joys and sorrows ... each one of them with their own hopes and dreams ... each one of them with their own laughter and tears ... each one of them making a difference in my life and the lives of everyone around them.

One year ago, my young friend Andrew went home early from work because he wasn't feeling well ... I remember encouraging him to go home and rest and feel better (that's what office moms do, you know). By the next day, Andrew was in intensive care fighting for his life after being diagnosed with sepsis, and fight he did, friends ... he's not only alive today, but he's back at work blessing every one of us with his spirit, his energy and his crazy sense of humor. Several months ago, Andrew sent an email to the folks in our office ... an email that had me bawling my eyes out at my desk when I read it. I asked Andrew that day if I could share his email in my blog sometime, and he said yes ... and tonight is the night. Read his words more than once, and then be grateful ... be loving ... be kind ... be present for every single moment of every single day.

You inspire me, my friend, and you remind me every day of how precious life is. You make me want to try harder, to complain less, to appreciate more. You show me what courage, strength, bravery and determination really can do. You never let me forget what matters most of all ... loving and caring and being there for one another. You are amazing, Andrew ... truly amazing ... knowing you is a blessing beyond measure and I'm honored to have you as my friend. Happy anniversary of life, buddy ... happy anniversary of life!

"Sheephaters,

Today marks my first full day back at work since the day I stood up and walked away  from my desk feeling sick on March 24th.  As many of you know this has been an extremely long journey for me, but one that I hope will make me a better man, father, husband and friend/coworker.  If this experience has taught me anything, it has taught me patience and that the human spirit cannot be broken when it has something to live for.  Now patience has never been a strong suite of mine.  Any art director I’ve worked with has experienced my tiger-like pacing around their desk when waiting for a layout and for that I apologize…that doesn’t mean I’ll stop doing it, but I promise to try.

When I was in the hospital the doctors told me to expect my recovery in a years’ time. This became my greatest motivation because like a 3-year old throwing a massive fit, I wanted to beat that timeline and get back to being who I am and on the road to who am going to be.  All in all, I was diagnosed with sepsis, on a ventilator for eight days, had two weeks of dialysis, 30 hyperbaric treatments, eight surgeries and continue to work with the amazing medical team at Saint Luke’s to rehabilitate my left arm and feet through physical and occupational therapy.  I’m not saying this for you to think, damn Kaminski you’re a bad-ass, but you can go ahead and think that if you want. 

I’m telling you this because there is no way on this earth I would have made this progress without one important thing, you.  The love and support the people of this agency have shown to me and my family cannot be measured and for that I thank you all from the bottom of my heart.  You are all amazing, caring and talented people and I will never forget what you have done for me.  Everything from prayers, cards, endless amounts of lasagna, Facebook posts and visits constantly lifted my spirits and have gotten me to this point. The Royals going to the series didn’t hurt either. 

All that there is left to say is a humungous thank you and I couldn’t be more excited to rejoin this world of laughter, tears, ridiculous deadlines, tough clients, beer thirties, beautiful work and the most supportive group of crazy bastards I’ve ever known.  Laying the cheese on thick now but you are Remarkable.

Back to work now. Thank you.

Andrew"


2 comments:

Jim V said...

I love that you sent this reminder of that wonderful email Andrew sent to us upon his return to our office.

Have you noticed that despite all his setbacks and continuing therapy that Andrew seems stronger and more focused than he ever was before his unfortunate sickness? I sure have.

We are blessed to have him back walking the halls of SHS.

Terrie Johnson said...

Well said, Jim. I think the strength and focus you mentioned is because Andrew sees life in a whole new way now ... he sees the big picture and inspires the rest of us to do the same.