Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Northern Exposure

For as little as I go to the movies or watch television these days, I must confess that I've got a real soft spot for films and TV shows that are based in rural towns, especially quaint little mountain towns. That's why I loved the movies "The Proposal" and "A River Runs Through It" and why I was so enamored with television shows like "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman," "The Waltons," "Little House on the Prairie," "Bonanza," "Everwood," "Gilmore Girls," and yes, my all-time favorite, "Northern Exposure" ... I flipping loved "Northern Exposure" for far too many reasons to elaborate upon in this post, not the least of which was that I had a major crush on Janine Turner (Maggie the pilot for those of you old enough to remember the show). Suffice it to say that I often dreamed of moving to a town like Cicely, Alaska, and becoming an eclectic local just like the folks who were depicted on the television series.

It's hard for me to believe that only a couple of days ago I was in Canada ... just last Saturday evening I was stretched out on the floor with my two favorite little Canadians jumping and crawling all over me. My son Brad and I were only able to spend a few days with my son Matt and his family, but believe me, I'd fly around the world for just one moment with my precious granddaughters ... yep, that's how much I love Coraline and Amelie ... I'd willingly get on a plane and fly around the world for just one of their sweet hugs. After three perfect days with Matt, Becca and the girls, Brad and I hopped in a rental car and headed over to Calgary to film a huge chunk of the documentary we've been working on for more than a year. We spent a little more than three days in the home of Nate and Cindi Phelps ... to say they were more than abundantly gracious and kind would be a huge understatement, and we are truly humbled and honored that they have entrusted us to tell their story.

I decided before I headed out on my most recent Canadian journey that I would focus as much as possible on being fully present with my family and friends. I knew I couldn't completely unplug from technology, but I was determined to be on my laptop or phone far, far less than I normally am. And I'm happy to report that for the most part, I lived up to my self-imposed technology break and was able to make some real and lasting memories with my sons, my daughter-in-law, my granddaughters and my friends. It really struck me when I sat down after I got back home and read through a bunch of emails that there was a pretty equal division in the notes and messages I received. There were those who chewed me out for not writing and those who praised my commitment to focus on my family and friends. Even typing those words, it strikes me again ... at the end of the day, I can't make everyone happy no matter how hard I try or how badly I wish I could.

This particular trip was an extra special one for me for many reasons, some of which I'll be writing about in the coming days. I came home a different person than I was when I left ... I hope and pray with everything in me that I came home a better person than I was before. I hope and pray that I came home from my northern exposure a more loving, compassionate, caring person ... I hope and pray that I came home fully understanding that the most important things in life aren't things at all. Think on that for a while, friends ... think and stew and ponder and contemplate and mull it over ... the most important things in life have absolutely nothing to do with things. 

1 comment:

Prekelicious said...

Which brings me to my favorite quote from The Grinch... You know the one. I won't type it. And I loved Northern Exposure too, but had a crush on Chris (John Corbett). I love him. Mike and I were married and started out in a tiny town in CO, we loved it.