Monday, November 16, 2015

Now I Lay Me

"They were innocents."

I've read or heard that statement countless times since the attacks in Paris last Friday evening. And it's a statement that quite literally strikes fear in the hearts and minds of people all across the world. The people who were targeted on Friday evening weren't soldiers or political adversaries or spies. They were innocent people out for the evening ... eating dinner at a cafe, attending a concert, watching a soccer game. They were daughters and sons and mothers and fathers and brothers and sisters and granddaughters and grandsons and aunts and uncles and nieces and nephews, and friends. They were innocents ... they were innocent people out for a Friday evening of fun. They hugged and kissed their loved ones, said goodbye and headed out for what should have been an evening filled with fun and laughter. What should have been a night of happiness and laughter and joy instead became a night of terror and pain and death.

"Today, we are all French."

I first heard that statement from an emotional reporter as the news began to break about the terrorist attacks in France, and I've heard it repeated by others many times over the last few days. There has been a tremendous outpouring of support and sympathy for the people of France from all around the world, due in large part to the fact that the victims were innocents. I also believe that most people are now even more keenly aware that if such an act of violence can occur in Paris, it can occur in any other city as well. But from that awareness, and to a certain extent the fear that accompanies it, has arisen a unity ... a commonality ... a shared determination to stand alongside the French people ... a recognition that today, we are indeed all French.

"You never think it will happen to you."

One of the most poignant and touching pieces I've read concerning the Paris attacks was written by a young woman who was present at the concert that evening. She recounted with heart-wrenching detail the horrific events that occurred, painting a very vivid and clearly devastating picture of the massacre that took place right before her eyes. It was the way she closed her essay that moved me most, as she wrote about those whom she loved ... as she conveyed her unwavering faith in the basic goodness of mankind ... as she charged everyone of us who read her words to be better people. It seems fitting to close my post this evening with the closing lines of the young woman's story.

"As I lay down in the blood of strangers and waiting for my bullet to end my mere 22 years. I envisioned every fact that I have ever loved and whispered I love you. Over and Over again. Reflecting on the highlights of my life. Wishing that those I love knew just how much, wishing that they knew that no matter what happened to me, to keep believing in the good in people. To not let those men win. Last night, the lives of many were forever changed and it is up to us to be better people. To live lives that the innocent victims of this tragedy dreamt about but sadly will now never be able to fulfill."

Be kind to one another, friends, and love with all your hearts. Not one of us is promised tomorrow ... not one of us is promised today ... not one of us is promised our next breath. Live well, dear ones ... live well.


   






No comments: