Friday, August 12, 2016

Name This Post

When I was out walking with Ollie this evening, I had what I think might just be a darn good idea ... and yes, I do have those once every decade or two. I'll write a list of things and then you gals and guys can name the post. Cool, right? Genius, eh? I'm the most creative, fun writer you've ever known? Why, thank you! Now that we've agreed upon the greatness of my literary skills and talent, have at it, friends ... go ahead and name this post.

The rushing water of a mountain stream. The feel of baby toes in the palm of my hand. The sound of crunchy autumn leaves under my feet. Building fires in the fireplace at work. The smell of a puppy's breath. A cool breeze on a hot day. The sound my boots make when I walk in the snow. The look in Coraline and Amelie's eyes when they see me at the airport. No sugar added ice cream from Coldstone's. The friend at work who goes out of their way to come to my corner to say hi because they miss seeing me. A tall glass of iced tea after I mow the lawn. A cold beer after I mow the lawn on a really hot day. Waking up with Ollie's paw on my face. Hearing the words "I love you." Saying the words "I love you." Driving a Jeep Wrangler with the top off when the temperature is in the mid-70s. Giving clothes and food to my homeless pals under the bridge. Getting a phone call or text in the evening or on the weekend from a friend at work who knows I get lonely. Helping a friend who's going through a rough time. Listening to someone who needs someone to talk to. Spending time with my kids. The smell of clean sheets fresh from the dryer. Walking on the trail with my wiener dog. Kansas sunsets. Giving and caring and helping and loving, period. Getting a message from a friend I haven't seen in years. Snuggling with my granddaughters while I read to them. Rich Hill on the 4th of July. Maine. Canada. Seeing a moose in Colorado. Seeing anything in Colorado. Watching Coraline learn to ice skate. Pulling Amelie in the sled. Bulk Barn. Breakfast at First Watch. When someone tells me I matter to them. Writing. Falling asleep with Ollie's paw on my face. Laughing until I can't catch my breath. Watching Meghann run. Watching Brad film. Watching Matt be a daddy. The brightness of a full moon in the night sky. Giving away hams in the hood. Holding a friend's hand when they need someone to hold their hand. The first taste when I bite into a big, juicy blackberry. The smell of cookies baking in the oven. Getting a "just because" card from a friend. Little kid laughter and baby giggles. Hearing the words "I trust you." Saying the words "I trust you." Going home to Tennessee to be with my family who loves me. Being there for a friend when they need me. Singing in the shower and no one can hear me except Ollie. Dog kisses from Ollie even after he hears me sing. Reading a book by candlelight. Friends who promise not to leave. Friends who promise not to leave and keep their promise. The blooms on the tiger lilies in my yard. Watching Michael Phelps swim. The sound of the ocean crashing into the rocks. The smell of the air in the mountains. Matt's smile. Becca's smile. Brad's smile. Shelby's smile. Meghann's smile. Barrett's smile. Coraline's smile. Amelie's smile. My family's smiles. My friends' smiles. When someone trusts me enough to tell me their story. The way Ollie hops when we go for a walk. Openness. Honesty. Realness. Transparency. When people do what they say they will do. When I do what I say I will do. Sleeping in on Saturday mornings. My life-saving head doctor. My regular doctor. Medication that keeps me alive. Wearing bow ties and suspenders. Helping Coraline catch her first fish. Laying on my couch watching a good movie on a cold, rainy day. The feel of the water on my skin in the shower. Decaf coffee. Scallops. Sugar-free chocolate syrup. Reading the stories of people who've overcome great obstacles. Having Ollie with me on an airplane. Having Ollie with me in the car. Having Ollie with me anywhere. When someone tells me they appreciate me. When I tell someone I appreciate them. When I wake up and thank God for giving me another day. Counting blessings instead of sorrows. Believing in someone. Having someone believe in me. Laughing ... loving ... living.

Name this post, friends ... name this post. And then write one of your own.

1 comment:

Prekelicious said...

Always a Reason to Hang On