Monday, December 31, 2012

Be My Guest



Today is the last day of the year 2012, and what a year it has been, huh? So many major events in the world, some awe-inspiring and wonderful, and some tragic and heart-breaking. So many major events in the world ... so many major events in our country ... so many major events in families ... so many major events in individual lives. For me personally, I'm ready to put 2012 behind me, and I'm praying and hoping for a brighter, happier, more peace-filled 2013 ... the two key words in that sentence being praying (with every ounce of faith I can find within my heart and soul) and hoping (with every shred of desire I can search out within my being). 2012 has been a tough one for me, for sure ... 2013 surely will be a better year ... 2013 needs to be a better year ... 2013 must be a better year.

The week following my difficult meeting back in October with some of the gals I work with, those same sweet gals took me to lunch. It struck me as the lunch hour grew near that I had never been to lunch with any of those women ... not once in all the years I had known them had I ever lunched with them. That is such a sad commentary on the walls I had created between me and those lovely ladies, walls that were my fault and my responsibility, walls that have crumbled away over the last couple of months. It was at lunch that an idea arose while we waited for our food to arrive ... an idea first posed by one of the gals, an idea that quickly sparked my interest and gave me pause to consider doing something different within the posts of my blog. The words, "You should let me write a guest blog one day," caused me to think deeply and to ponder the truth contained within them. This blog has always been mine ... and mine alone ... to vent, to muse, to whine, to inspire (hopefully), to help (hopefully), to bring a smile to your face (hopefully). My thoughts, my feelings, my struggles, my victories ... this blog has always been filled with my words ... and mine alone.

Today, that is going to change. I would like to institute a monthly (if not more often) opportunity for you to be guest bloggers on The Tree House. I'm sure that many (if not all) of you can write much more eloquently than me, and I'm beyond sure that many (if not most) of you have things to say that would help all of us on our journeys through life. You may remain anonymous, or you may ask me to print your name. You may choose the subject, or you may ask me to offer up a suggested topic. You know it as well as I do ... it's a great idea ... an idea far bigger than those words uttered in an offhand comment at lunch. "You should let me write a guest blog one day."

The post you will read tonight was written by someone for whom I have the utmost respect ... as a friend, as a wife and mother, as a businesswoman, as a traveler on the road of life who truly and deeply cares for those whom she encounters along the way. She keeps her ears wide open, listens with her heart and does what God asks of her ... without hesitation, without question, without remorse, without fail. What follows are her words ... her subject choice ... her heart.

     “Welcome to my first guest blog post. Actually, my first blog post period. I've always wanted to be a writer. To share my thoughts and views and to have someone read them and think about things in a different way. To be thought provoking, to educate, to inspire, to change the way someone thinks about a situation. Or even just to gather my thoughts, organize them in some logical way and share them with others.

     Oh, to be a great writer. Or even just a mediocre writer. But that takes commitment. And discipline. And time. And life gets in the way. Between work, raising amazing kids (that's the goal, right?), to be a good partner to my spouse, to finding time to be with my friends, there's a lot. A lot of responsibility, a lot of prioritization, a lot of things being set aside for another day.

     But this is important. This post was a commitment to a friend. And because of that, it's a priority to me.

     I have all kinds of friends. I have friends who challenge me, friends who help me be my best, friends who love to have fun, friends who help me be in the moment, friends who love to talk about work, friends who would never talk about work, friends who love to talk about spirituality, friends who love to talk about cooking, friends who love to talk about style, and all types in between. Friends who never need help (or seem not to), and friends who love to discuss all options before making a decision. 

     I'm so appreciative of my friends. They make my life so rich. So incredible. It sounds trite, but they make life worth living. I don't often stop to think about exactly what they bring to my life, but when I do, it comes down to exactly the same thing. They make me feel loved. I have no two friends alike, but they are all there for me, and I for them. It's all about feeling loved, appreciated, valued, treasured. And also about loving in return, in appreciating, in treasuring these friendships. And all without a blink of an eye. There is not a lot in life that is close to the feeling of a friend being there when you need them. Or you for them.

     Terrie is one of these friends. It's not about how tall she is, or how not tall she is. It's not about how well she can cook, for I have no idea. It could be about how well she can write - we all know she's good. But it's not really about that. It's not about how well she shops - I found that out! It's about how she treats her friends. And her family. And that's what matters. She's supportive, she's loyal, she's smart, she's funny, she's kind, she's helpful, she's beautiful and she's sincere.

     And in return, I am supportive of her. As are so many others. We treasure Terrie for exactly who she is. For her amazing sense of giving. For how she loves her family. For her love of her children (it is quite awesome, as are her kids). For her love of her granddaughter. For her loyalty to her work. To her friends. To her spirituality. To her sense of style (even though she would never wear sequins!). I treasure Terrie for Terrie. She is who she is, and who she is is simply awesome.

     Terrie has struggled with who she is lately, which I'm sure you've picked up on in her writings. But to me, she's everything I described, and more. Not one of these things alone defines her, but a combination of all of her attributes makes Terrie who she is. And to me, she's a friend. And to me, that's all that really matters.

     So struggle a little less in 2013, my friend, and just be you. Awesome you.”



2 comments:

Cindy said...

We should all be fortunate enough to have someone choose to "guest post" such lovely thoughts about us. xo

allie :^) said...

wow! loved this post for lots of reasons. always for terrie's heartfelt words :) but have to SHOUT OUT to the guest blogger. you should push life aside more often and share more words with us.

thanks to both of you for sharing your heart about friendship. its fun to know someone well enough to know that she would never wear sequins.

agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment. no more scarlet lettering in 2013 please.

you always have my heart dimmesdale!! :)

xoxo love, hester