Tuesday, December 25, 2012

What a Difference a Day (or a Year) Makes

If I had a dollar for every time one of my friends at work has said the following words to me over the last few months, "What a difference a day makes," I would have quite a few bucks in my pocket. And she's right, the events that take place in a day can forever change a person's life, sometimes in wonderfully good and joyful ways and sometimes in devastatingly bad and sorrowful ways. Whichever turn certain monumental days take, the truth in my friend's words holds very true ... "What a difference a day makes." I spent the day yesterday with my son Bradley ... and a wonderful day it was. We had lunch together and went to see a movie ... and what a wonderful time it was. There's a post coming tomorrow about my time with Brad, and it's one you'll want to read for sure. For now, I'll say this ... God has blessed me with three of the most wonderful, amazing, loving, accepting, caring children any mother could ever hope to have. But for today's post, I want to tell you about last night ... for today's post, I want to tell you about what a difference ... what a huge difference a day (or a year) can make.

Last Christmas Eve, I went to the candlelight service at church with a dear family ... a family who has become like my own family to me over the last few years ... a family who continues to love me ... a family who warms my heart and makes me smile every time I'm with them. Last Christmas Eve, I struggled to hold back my tears as I sat in silence with them in church with my head down staring at the floor beneath my feet. I had to force myself to smile and talk and try to look in the eyes of the sweet children and their parents as we ate together at a Chinese restaurant after the church service. Last Christmas Eve, my heart was so very heavy, and even getting out of bed each day required me to summon every ounce of strength within me. Last Christmas Eve, as I joined my friends, I couldn't help but think that I might not be around for the next year's holiday festivities. Last Christmas Eve, I wanted to die more than I wanted to live. 

Last night, I went to the Christmas Eve candlelight service at church with the same dear family ... the family who has become like my own family to me over the last few years ... the family who continues to love me ... the family who warms my heart and makes me smile every time I'm with them. Last night, I chattered with the four kiddos of the family when they arrived at my house to pick me up and told them of my adventure at the emergency animal hospital with Ollie and of opening gifts with my children on Sunday. Last night, I smiled as we waited for the service to start, and I listened as the little kids of the family spilled over with excitement about what this morning might bring. I sang along with the Christmas hymns during the service, with the littlest boy in the family perched on my knees. Last night, I joined the family as they walked to the front of the church to take communion, and I quietly thanked God for the gift of His Son. Last night, I hugged and chatted with people I haven't talked with in ... well ... in a very, very long time. Last night, I talked and laughed heartily as I ate delicious Chinese food and listened to the family as they, too, laughed and talked and ate. And when the teenage daughter of the family dropped me off at my house after dinner, my heart was light rather than heavy, and I wanted to live way, way more than I wanted to die.

So ... here's my Merry Christmas wish for all of you ... remember what a difference a day (or a year) can make. Remember what a difference this day can make for your life for all eternity ... the day we celebrate the birth of the Savior of the world. 

"What a difference a day makes." What a difference indeed, friends ... what a difference indeed. 

No comments: