Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Drink Deeply

Before I was diagnosed with diabetes last October, I was thirsty all the time ... really ... all the time. I could never get enough to drink and carried a glass of tea or a can of diet soda with me constantly. My thirst was unquenchable, never-ending and relentless.

Within a month or so of beginning my medication and altering my diet, I noticed a big change in my level of thirst. All of a sudden, I wasn't really thirsty anymore ... ever. I went from not being able to consume enough liquid to having no desire to drink at all. In fact, my thirst level dropped so much that I had to begin setting an alarm on my phone to remind me to drink something.

Looking back over the last five months at all the changes that have taken place in my life, the whole lack of thirst area has been one of the most perplexing to me. And one of the most puzzling and interesting pieces of my "non-thirstiness" is that it seemed to happen literally overnight ... I went to bed thirsty and woke up the next morning not thirsty. Something switched in my body chemistry as I slept that night, a culmination I'm sure of changes that had been taking place when I didn't realize they were happening.

There are times when I am spiritually thirsty, times when I can't get enough of God, when I seek His face and read His Word constantly. And then there are times, often that occur without seeming rhyme or reason, when I find myself trudging through a barren and dry desert in my walk of faith. At a time when the heat of the day and the darkness of the night should make me have an unquenchable thirst, I need to be reminded and encouraged and prodded to drink from my Savior's well.

Make me thirsty, Lord, so thirsty that I'm driven to you and no other. Help me find my way out of the desert and into the cooling waters of your love. Take me to the oasis, God, and let me drink deeply of You.


No comments: