Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Return

Every time I come home, there are two furry creatures who are always happy to see me. They come bounding toward me with tails wagging their whole bodies ... filled with joy that their favorite person in the world has come home once again. It doesn't matter if I've been gone for 10 minutes or 10 days, they are overwhelmingly elated when I return. Whatever my mood, good or bad, I can't help but smile at the love and loyalty that reside in the hearts of my canine companions.

It's a rainy night here tonight ... my sweet mom used to always say that rainy nights were good sleeping nights. And that is what Julie and J.R. have done all evening, curled up as only doggies can do, right beside me on the couch. Peaceful, quiet, rested, content ... next to the person they love most in this world.

Watching them sleep, I think about how God must feel when I've been away from Him ... away from home ... and how He must feel when I return, when I find my way in the dark night, back into the safe haven that is Him. His joy must be boundless when he hears me put my key in the lock and open the door to my heart, when I call out, "I'm home," when I curl up beside Him and slip into a contented, restful, quiet, peaceful sleep.

"I'm falling on my knees, offering all of me."

1 comment:

Angi said...

I like this alot.... And I feel like J.R. and Julie when i am curled up next to Him.... The most amazing feeling in the world; to be content in my Lord