Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Two Words

For the last couple of weeks, I've been infatuated with two-word statements. Yep, two words put together to form a sentence ... no more, no less. This obsession began when I saw a bumper sticker on a car that read simply, "How much?" That short combination of two words has caused me to expend a great deal of thought and contemplation in recent days. And now, it seems as if everywhere I turn, a new two-word pearl of wisdom is placed before me.

Jesus wept. Seek Me. Don't worry. Read carefully. Love you. Drink deeply. God thing. What's wrong? Grace abounds. Walk slowly. Hang on. So sorry. Come in. Not enough. Have fun. Pay attention. He cares. Wait patiently. Speak thoughtfully. Be well. Let go.

These little nuggets have arrived via some rather unique delivery avenues. Bumper stickers, billboards, emails, the Bible, conversations, Facebook comments, books, television, radio ... one of them I even noticed when I was walking one evening - a tattoo on a young woman's shoulder.

I'm not sure why suddenly I am attentive to these phrases or so consumed to analyze them completely, to pick them apart and try to understand any deep philosophical meaning present in them. Perhaps it is nothing more than the "word hound" in me, but then again, perhaps it is something much more.

I wonder. You, God?

No comments: