Monday, March 15, 2010

How Much?

Driving into work this morning, I noticed a bumper sticker on the rear of a car that has made me think and ponder and wonder all day. It was a simple black and white sticker that said, "How much?" I immediately had a strong desire to pull up next to the car and yell out to the driver, "How much what?" Being a senior copy editor can be a curse at times, such as when I have a strong urge to edit a bumper sticker on a car right in the middle of my morning commute on the interstate.

My mind has stumbled over that sticker today; my brain has been stuck in bumper sticker land. How much what? How much money? How much food? How much water? How much love? How much did the car cost? How much soap does it take to clean a dirty toddler? How much sunshine? How much mud? How much medicine? How much vacation time do I have? How much is enough? How much? How much? How much? How much what???

As the day has worn on, my "How much" focus has shifted a bit, and I find myself asking some much deeper questions. How much compassion do I have for the sick, the weak or the homeless? How much love do I show to others who are in difficult places in their lives? How much money do I give to help others in need? How much forgiveness do I extend when someone hurts me? How much acceptance do I demonstrate to people with different backgrounds or lifestyles? How much? How much? How much?

I wonder ... I wonder ... I wonder ... if God ever asks how much?








No comments: