Saturday, September 25, 2010

Raising the Roof

This weekend I attended a women's conference. I've said or written that particular phrase a multitude of times over the last years since God called me to be a speaker, but this weekend ... I really attended a women's conference. As much as I know that speaking is the calling that God has placed on my heart, and as much as I love speaking and being in the center of His purpose for my life, it's a whole different experience when I get to attend a conference or retreat as a participant rather than as the keynote speaker. And this weekend, God blessed me and touched me and humbled me and grew me as I listened to another sister bring His Word and His message to the group of ladies in attendance. And bring it, she did. Her passion for God's Word and her desire to serve Him fully were an inspiration not only to me, but to each woman in the room.

One of the greatest blessings I have received in my years of speaking has been to experience worshipping in song with the groups of women that God has placed along my journey. As my sweet mom used to say, I can't carry a tune in a bucket, and perhaps that is part of why I have gained such a deep appreciation for folks who have the gift of musical talent, whether that talent is instrumental or vocal in nature. I so often leave women's conferences or retreats feeling that I'm the one who has received the greatest blessing, and so many times, that great blessing is tied into the times of praise and worship as women lift their voices in unison to the Lord. And this weekend's music held true to that premise ... the worship leader ushered us into the very presence of God, with a humility of heart and a sensitive spirit that touched my soul.

As if the speaker and the worship leader were not enough, God used another sister today to ... well ... to put the icing on the cake ... my favorite kind of icing, too. He's pretty awesome in that, you know, to give me so much more than I could ever expect or dream of or deserve in any way. This gal provided the special music today, and from the moment she sang her first note, I had goosebumps ... man, oh, man, oh, man ... this woman could sing. She had a deep alto voice and a heart for the Lord that was contagious and infectious. I'm telling you, friends ... this sweet sister in the Lord could sing. I closed my eyes in worship, and I couldn't help but hope that when I go to heaven one day, maybe God will let me live in a little cabin next door to her so that I can hear her offer up her praise for all eternity.

Sometimes the ceiling falls in on me, and I can't see out from under the rubble of the cares and worries and troubles of day-to-day life. Sometimes I need to have my roof raised, and I need to look up into the eyes of my heavenly Father and be reminded that He is all I need. So thank you, dear sisters in Christ ... for teaching God's Word ... for ushering me into His presence ... for raising the roof and helping me see my Lord.

 

1 comment:

allie :^) said...

i love the part about you in a little cabin right next to her, so that you can listen to her sweet voice of praise for all eternity. maybe once we get there, q will be able to hear her too...