Saturday, September 18, 2010

Sister Sister

When I was a kid, I was always jealous of my older siblings. Not because they had more things when they were young, because they certainly didn't. Not because they lived in a nicer house growing up, because they certainly didn't. Not because they attended more prestigious schools for their education, because they certainly didn't. The reason I was jealous was because they had something so much more important than any of those things ... they had each other ... they all grew up together and were relatively close in age. I, on the other hand, came into the world 15 years later than the youngest of the three of them, my sister Elsie. My brother Tommy was 18, and my brother Jerry was 22 when I was born. I was really more like an only child growing up than one who had three siblings.

My sister took care of me a great deal as I was growing up since Mom and Dad both had full-time jobs. In many ways, she was more like a mom to me than a sister; even as an adult, my relationship with Sis has always had somewhat of a motherly component to it due in part to the difference in our ages. So last week when I injured my elbow and shoulder and couldn't make my planned trip to Tennessee, my sweet sister hopped a plane and swooped in for a few days to give me some much-needed TLC. Though she was only here for a few days, the time with family did my soul (and my aching body) a ton of good.

I've lived away from my family for over 20 years, first in Florida and now in Kansas. And honestly, there have been times through the years when I have missed my family so much it hurts, when all I wanted in this world was to move back "home" to the South. And I still experience times when I seriously think about quitting my job, selling everything I own, packing up my dogs and heading for the hills of Tennessee.

While my heart often longs to live closer to my extended family, I've also come to learn some valuable lessons in living out in the land of Dorothy and Toto. I've learned that it's good to have a basement to hide in when the tornadic thunderstorms roll across the plains, and I've learned to hide my heart and soul in my Lord when I am homesick or lonely. I've learned that there are better ways than others to drive in the snow and ice, and I've learned to let God steer my course and designate my path when I am tempted to take matters into my own hands. I've learned that the flowers of spring, the heat of summer, the color of fall and the frigidness of winter can each be appreciated for their own beauty, and I've learned to appreciate and treasure my "friend" family here and the love and blessings they shower upon me.

So, here's to you, Sis ... thank you for coming to see me, for caring for me, for loving me, for tolerating me when I was a kid (and now, too, I suppose!), for sharing your heart with mine. I miss you and can't wait until we can be together again. And here's to my honorary sisters and brothers in friendship and faith ... thank you for adopting this gal from the South into your families and your hearts.

1 comment:

allie :^) said...

oh i love this post. seriously, WHAT A SIS! she hopped a plane to come see you when plans changed. that is TREMENDOUS and demonstrates much love and devotion. perhaps you could say you have the best of both worlds then? in having both biological and adopted sisters???? :) love ya nancy drew. for keeps. :)