Monday, December 27, 2010

A Gift From the Heart

My son Bradley has a talent for making me laugh. It seems that no matter how down in the dumps I may be, he can always say something that will at the very least elicit a smile from his old mom's wounded spirit. He has a quick wit and a dry sense of humor that makes his personality infectious and winsome to the people who are blessed to know him well. Brad is also one of the most spontaneous young men I've ever known, especially when it comes to his passion for filmmaking. He has been known to decide to make a short film on a Monday morning and basically have it completed before the week is over ... the writing of the script, selection of actors, choosing a location, filming and editing ... amazing to me, but he's done it more than once.

Brad possesses another talent, however, that is far more precious to me as his mother. Brad has a knack for putting words on paper that truly touch me to the core of my soul. Several years ago, he gave me a multiple-page letter at Christmas that made me weep as I read it then, and still makes me weep when I read it now. He puts his heart onto the page, and his words come from the depth of his soul.

The last year has been a difficult one for me on many fronts ... I've had some health issues as those of you who are faithful readers know; my job has been quite stressful; and six weeks ago, I lost my little J.R. I've shed an ocean of tears over the last 12 months, but the ones I shed on this year's Christmas morning as I read a card penned by my Brad were tears that I will forever remember and hold close to my heart.

The card began with, "Mom, I know it's been a tough year," and as I read those few words, that's when my tears began to flow. The card said a lot of things which I will always treasure, but a few words in particular warrant sharing with those of you who read this blog. "I searched and searched for something you could 'open' but it just never seemed like the right fit. So I decided the best gift I could give you is a walking Buddy."

You see, Brad knows and understands how very much I miss my little J.R. being out on the trail with me, and how hard it has been for me to walk without him. So Brad arranged for a dog trainer to come to my house and teach my Julie how to walk on a leash, and teach me how to walk with her. We've tried everything down through the years to get Julie to behave on a walk, and she almost tears my arm off when I try to walk with her.

As special as Brad's gift is to me ... what is even more special is that he "gets it." He understands the depth of my grief for J.R., and he appreciates the importance of a walking buddy for me. As I wept while I read his card, Brad quickly reminded me that Julie alerts me when my blood sugar is falling and how good it would be for her to be on the trail with me as I go for my daily walk. He gets it ... Brad completely and totally gets it.

So Bradley Bear ... this blog is for you, buddy. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your gift from the bottom of yours.

1 comment:

allie :^) said...

a passion and talent for writing must be genetic in your family... :)