Sunday, December 26, 2010

Growing Older

Last Sunday afternoon, I did something I've never done before ... I went caroling with a group from my church. Oh, I've gone caroling before, lest any of you deem me a bah humbug kind of gal. But I've never gone caroling where we went last Sunday ... we caroled for older folks at assisted living facilities and nursing homes. The group from church was a diverse one, with the youngest participant being seven years old, and the oldest being ... well ... older than me.

We were told before we left the church that we could go into the people's rooms and greet them, and the children in the group had made cards to hand out to the residents. To say that I was touched as we went from room to room would be a gigantic understatement. As I took the hands of one older person after another, my thoughts flew to my mom and dad and how I miss them ... their love, their wisdom, their laughter. Before we finished singing that afternoon, I had decided that I was going to volunteer at one of the area retirement centers ... I'd like to start a reading group and read to the residents.

Walking the halls of the facilities last week, I couldn't help but wonder how many of the people there lived most of their days alone, how many of them rarely had a visitor, how many of them were lonely and afraid. I never used to think about where I would spend my aging years, but seeing the elderly folks last Sunday has given me pause to think about what my own future may hold in store for me.

Today is my 51st birthday, and perhaps that explains in part why I've been so affected over the past week by the folks I met last Sunday. I've never been bothered by a birthday, and I've never measured myself by the number of years I've lived. But I'll be honest, today has been a hard day for me. It is amazing what a difference a year can make ... in health, in love, in life. And it's also amazing what a difference a moment can make ... in a smile, in a hug, in a word.

This morning, my pastor spoke about the importance of measuring our time, being aware of how short life can be, making the most of every opportunity and seeking God's will every day. So as I embark on my next year of life, I pray that I will be ever aware of the preciousness of the gift of life and that I will measure my time here on earth not by years or wealth or position but only by my walk with my Lord.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again, your words have touched a place in my heart. Thank you for sharing your words. Mari Jo

allie :^) said...

i hope you keep your commitment. i think a reading group would be nothing short of wonderful... :) our society is so consumed with youth, its heartbreaking that so many who are no longer young are forgotten. keep that promise aunt jo! who knows? some of them may even enjoy a nancy drew novel or two... :)