Friday, April 13, 2012

Nothing Doing

There are some kid activities that seem to be treasured and enjoyed by youngsters all over the world, as is evidenced both by the written word and photos alike. You know, things like eating ice cream or making snow angels or jumping in puddles or going fishing or watching the stars or blowing bubbles ... and a gazillion more things that kids everywhere love to do. Some of my favorite memories from when each of my three kiddos were littles involve the times they would climb onto my back and say, "Mommie, will you give me a piggyback ride? Please, Mom, please??" I'm not sure why exactly, but something about carting my kids around on my back always brought out my playful side ... I mean, seriously, it's hard not to laugh when you've got your kids' arms and legs wrapped around you as they hang on tightly and yell, "Go faster, Mommie, go faster!" I'm sure you're wondering why I'm reminiscing about piggyback rides ... it's because tonight I'm going to piggyback on my last post and talk about another one of my sticky note quotes on my computer screen at work.

I have no idea where I read the statement, but I do know that the words had a huge impact on me then and still do each time I read them. They remind me that the true character of a person can be seen most clearly through a certain action that many folks, myself included, fail miserably at carrying out. "You can easily judge the character of a man (or woman) by how he (or she) treats those who can do nothing for him (or her)." Those, friends, are some pretty powerful words ... those are words that make me search my soul and think about the deepest motivations that lie within my heart in regard to my interaction with others. Do I help them because I want them to help me? Do I give to them because I want something from them in return? Do I listen to them because I want them to hear me? How do I treat those who can do nothing for me ... those who aren't financially successful, those who are physically ill, those who are emotionally or mentally damaged or wounded, those who are jobless or hopeless or faithless ... those who can do nothing for me? How do I really treat them?

The reality of the world we live in is that we often deem one another worthy or unworthy based upon our level of performance ... what we can do rather than who we are. That mentality is present in the workplace, in schools, in churches, and even in many homes. Last weekend I saw the movie The Hunger Games, and I must say that it certainly isn't a story for the faint of heart. It is, however, a huge commentary on the most carnal meaning of the term "survival of the fittest," and it has given me pause to think once again about the quote that stares back at me each day from my computer. "You can easily judge the character of a man (or woman) by how he (or she) treats those who can do nothing for him (or her)." The main character in the story chooses to treat two of her competitors in the game with respect and honor, even though she knows that it is a battle to the death and that there can only be one survivor. I won't tell you how the film ends, but I will say that the young girl revealed her true character by how she treated those who could do nothing for her ... nothing, that is, except to eventually try to take her life.

I can't help but acknowledge that there are a few people in my life who have stuck by me over the last couple of years while expecting nothing from me. Those people haven't judged me or condemned me or chastised me. Rather, they have understood my inability to do anything for them, and they have continued to demonstrate respect and honor to me. And in doing so, they have demonstrated their true character ... they have proven themselves to be pure and honest and loyal and trustworthy. I would be remiss, however, if I didn't also acknowledge that I've experienced the demonstration of true character from some that proved them to be ... well ... suffice it to say that they were not so pure or honest or loyal or trustworthy as I once thought them to be.

The more I think about it, the more I am struck by a thought ... Jesus is the ultimate example of character and integrity, and He chose to lay down His life for a world filled with sinners without hope, without faith, without love. "You can easily judge the character of a man (or woman) by how he (or she) treats those who can do nothing for him (or her)."

Think about it, friends ... think about it a lot. 

P.S. Keep the folks in the path of the nasty weather developing tonight in the plains in your prayers ... my son Matt, daughter-in-law Becca and granddaughter C.J., as well as several of my friends, live in an area that is under a high risk for tornado outbreaks over the next day or two. May God place His mighty hand of protection around you all ... love you.

No comments: