Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A Message

Last night before I headed out for my evening walk, I read an email from a friend. It was just a generic, chatty email from one friend to another ... until the last two words. Two words that literally seemed to leap off the page as I read them, that are in my head even on this the next day, that are causing me to search my innermost thoughts.

As I left my house to walk, the two words were pounding in my head. Each step repeated the words in cadence, in perfect time with my pace. The sway of the trees in the wind wafted the words across the evening air. The bubbling of the creek along the path danced the words upon the water. Everywhere I turned, the words were there ... speaking to me ... calling me ... humbling me.

Be godly. Those were the words typed at the end of the email. Be godly. The words that won't leave me alone. Be godly. The words that have taken up residence in my mind and in my heart. Be godly. The words that are challenging my behavior. Be godly. The words that stand ready to bring me to my knees and cause me to weep from shame and guilt. Be godly. Be godly. Be godly.

I think perhaps it is in the unexpected moments of life that God speaks the most distinctly and clearly to me. It's the times when I am weak or lonely or tired that He longs to show me His strength, His love, His power. It's the little things, the things most easily glossed over or ignored, that He uses to sear my spirit and spark a fire in my soul. It's at the darkest point of my sin that He calls me to follow Him completely.

And tucked within an email ... a message ... be godly.

2 comments:

Shasty said...

This is like that perfect bowl of comfort food. It emboldens me, encourages me, fills me, challenges me, and makes me want more.

Thank you.

allie :^) said...

i like it. :) wish that email would have been from me. ha ha! ;)great writing in this post. :)