Monday, May 17, 2010

Playing the Game

My three children have always loved playing games ... make-believe, board games, video games ... you name the game, and they loved to play it. And as much as they loved to play games, they loved to compete against each other even more. I can't tell you how many times a simple game became a fight to the death between the three of them. They are all adults now, but on the occasions when we all get together and a game is broken out, it's like stepping back in time to watch them play.

Though I wish I could take credit for raising three children who are honest, straightforward and trustworthy in every area of their lives, that would simply not be true when it comes to the game-playing aspect of my kiddos' personalities. The truth is ... well, they cheat ... and often. I must say, however, that they are quite creative in their cheating endeavors. I remember Matt wearing a plaid shirt so that he could point to the color he wanted Brad to call trumps during Rook games, and Meghann taping a cheat sheet under the table and rigging questions so that she could check her prepared answers.

In traipsing down memory lane and thinking about my kids and their disdain for rules when it comes to playing games, it causes me to think about the more serious subject of the rules involved in the game of life. And in contemplating that subject, this deep-thinking gal has many questions swirling around in my never still or quiet mind.

Why is that I so often seem to have a strong desire to not follow the rules and regulations that society dictates I must? Why does it anger me so that other people are allowed to set the standards and protocols for how I am expected to live my life? And most important, why does it seem to be my innate nature to struggle and fight against following God's direction for me?

Maybe I will never fully understand why my personality is such that I prefer to color outside the lines of life, to march to my own beat, to buck the system. Perhaps I will never be able to simply play the way others tell me is the "right" way to play the game, and perhaps that is not necessarily a bad thing. Perhaps all I really need to be concerned with is if I'm playing the game God's way.

And so here's the thing ... I only have to play the game of life according to His rules ... no one else's ... only His. So roll the dice, Lord ... let's play.

3 comments:

Mariah Andrews said...

I love it that you color outside of the lines. I've been doing the same thing most of my life, and while messy, it keeps things thrilling and worthwhile.

Angi said...

Truth be told many of us, while pretending to "play by the rules", try to figure out ways to cheat. How can we walk the line others have drawn for us all while finding ways to get what we want.


The game of life according to God's rules is a tricky thing too... because the rules depend on who you are talking to. Although I do not totally ascribe to relativism, I do believe God has an IEP (Individual Education Plan) for each of us.

You see the Game of Life is about learning to become more like Jesus not the world, not your neighbors, not even your Church Family..... Jesus!

allie :^) said...

i think alot of us find ourselves in that same boat. it really is funny when we figure out that the rules really are there to protect us...but for some reason that's usually not enough. we still want to bend (or break) the rules! :) some of us never seem to learn. :)