Monday, May 3, 2010

Think About It

In the last few days, I've had several people tell me that I am a deep thinker. And, I must admit, I had to think and ponder and contemplate the observation that I think a lot. I know, there's not one shred of irony in my previous statement. But, I'm serious, very serious, in fact. I had to think about the thought that I am a deep thinker.

As I rolled that premise around in my head, thinking about it from every possible angle, I came to a conclusion. I think a lot about a lot of different things. I spend a great deal of time thinking about a plethora of subjects, some good, positive and uplifting, and some not so much. In thinking about my thinking, I think I need to think more about the way I think.

I've read that each time a thought forms, a new crease or wrinkle appears on the surface of the brain. Now I'm not a scientist or a researcher, but that made me think, ponder for a while even, as to whether or not those creases are formed in categories or sections according to what type of thoughts they are. And that thought sent me off on another train of thinking ... do I have more loving, constructive, Christlike creases on my brain, or are there more negative, angry, sinful ones there? Do I think more about the things of God, or do I go more often to the dark places in my mind? Do I "take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ," or do I let my thoughts take control of me?

Romans 12:2 says, "And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect."

Now that, my friends, is a lot to think about.

5 comments:

Barrett said...

You know, a good translation of the word "repent" is "to think about your thinking". Interesting, no?

Anonymous said...

um, I think repent has a connotation of guilt, or remorse as well, stripping this connotation from the translation is misleading.

"The renewing of our mind" i like, being "transformed" into a completely new being by the development of rational thinking in tune with the universe. Jesus called us to be extremely intelligent so that we are not easily manipulated, always checking facts we are presented with and thinking logically rather than emotionally.

Barrett said...

I agree. I was just breaking down the Greek word "metanoeo"--from its two root words "think about your thinking" is a good, literal translation.

Shasty said...

I like that literal definition. Think about what in the WORLD you were thinking when you did that!

allie :^) said...

hmmm...i need to think about this one a bit. ;)