Thursday, May 10, 2012

Baby Steps

Twenty-six or so years ago (at least if I remember correctly, he was around a year old), I watched my son Matt take his first steps across the living room floor at our house on Boy Scout Road in Hixson, Tennessee. That sounds like such a long time ago, but today ... today, it feels like it was only yesterday that all three of my children were but babies in my arms. Each time I see my granddaughter C.J., even if it's only been a couple of weeks, she has grown and changed. In three short months, she's become a little person with her own unique personality and opinions. There's probably not a parent who hasn't said the words, "They grow up so fast." Because kids do, you know ... they do grow up so fast. Tomorrow, I will watch my son Matt walk across the stage in an arena and receive his Ph.D. ... tomorrow, my little boy who toddled across the living room will become a doctor.

Wednesday, I had appointments with both of my doctors, and both of them talked to me about baby steps ... more than a bit interesting in light of the fact that I've been thinking about the steps of babies since Matt, Becca and C.J. were here last Sunday. As I watched Matt talking and laughing with the people who came to wish him well as he and Becca prepare to move to Canada, I didn't see a young man about to receive his Ph.D. and start a new journey in his life. As I watched him across the room, my mind flashed back to him taking his first steps, to him reaching for my hands as he neared me, to him needing my help to get back up when he took a tumble. I thought about when C.J. would take her first steps and how Matt and Becca will watch her ... I thought about how far away they are moving and about the huge steps they will be taking over the next few months. I watched him ... and I thought about how much I love my son.

Baby steps ... small, tenuous steps. Baby steps ... a few at a time, falling time and time again, helping hands reaching to pick us up and encouraging us to give it another try ... baby steps may be the hardest ones we ever take in life, especially for those of us who aren't babies anymore, those of us who've been knocked down a time or two in life, those of us who are struggling to walk at all. Here's to little steps and big steps and all the steps in between ... here's to you, Dr. Mattie ... may God guide the steps you'll be taking not only tomorrow ... may He guide all the steps of your life. Here's to you, Dr. Mattie, and your baby steps from long ago ... here's to you, Dr. Mattie, and the man you have become.

No comments: