Sunday, June 10, 2012

Run Along Now

I'd be willing to bet that most of you have either had the phrase said to you, or you've said it to someone else ... run along now. When I was a kid, it was often accompanied by the words and play. And though I don't remember Mom or Daddy saying them, I'm sure they thought other accompanying phrases as well ... so the adults can 1) have some peace and quiet, or 2) talk about things that we don't want you to hear. As a parent, I've uttered the phrase to my own children and I'm sure they will one day speak the words to their children as well. It's funny how things change, though, as I age ... now I find myself often wanting to say something completely different to my children whenever I get to spend time with them. Stay.

I woke up in a major funk this morning, and I'm not sure why because I actually had a very good day yesterday. My daughter and son-in-law were in town to meet with a couple who is getting married next weekend, and when their meeting was finished, they picked me up and we spent the afternoon shopping and then went out to dinner. We haven't had the opportunity to spend a leisurely day together in a long time, and I enjoyed every moment. I slept pretty well last night, but the second I opened my eyes this morning, I was sad. I decided after breakfast to go for a bike ride, thinking that perhaps some time on the trail deep in the woods would lift my spirits. I rode for a little over an hour, and after I got home and parked my bike in the garage, I climbed back into bed with my dogs and cried my heart out. I couldn't go back to sleep, so I finally got up and took a shower, put my p.j.s back on and drank a cup of coffee. While I was out riding, I had already told God that I wouldn't be going to church today ... nope, nope, nope, not going. But as I grabbed a book and walked toward my bedroom, my phone dinged that I had a text message. A text message that said simply, "Coming?" And my reply was, "Getting dressed." Um, yeah ... I went to church.

It shouldn't surprise me that the times when the last thing in the world I want to do is go to church are the times that God has the minister preach a sermon that is like a fiery arrow shot straight into my heart. I sat with my head down through most of the service, but I listened intently to every word the preacher said. His sermon was about Jonah ... about Jonah trying his best to run away from God. All speakers know that you should have three major points when you speak, and the minister had three huge points this morning ... points that I'm sure I'll be thinking about for many days to come, points that I'm going to close this post with because I have a gut feeling that I'm not the only person God wants to speak to through them. I need to roll the truths around in my head and my heart for a while, but don't be surprised if I have more to say about them in an upcoming post.

  • When you run from God, you usually run as far away as possible.
  • When you run, God will work to get your attention.
  • Even when you run, God gives you a second chance.
You never tell me to run along, Father ... You always tell me to stay. I'm trying to listen to You, Lord ... I'm really trying to listen.

No comments: