Saturday, August 4, 2012

BS

No, this isn't a post about abbreviations for four-letter words ... don't even tell me some of you didn't immediately think that when you saw the title. It always surprises me, though I suppose it shouldn't, that the posts with titles that people think might be about a controversial subject are the ones that garner the most views. And quite honestly, I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing ... I guess it could mean that people want to know my opinion about such topics, or people are simply drawn to subjects that may stir the pot, so to speak. Either way, this isn't one of those posts ... sorry, but you'll find no controversy nor four-letter words in this post, though the two words the abbreviation BS represents for me are often not very nice words for sure.

One of the most frustrating aspects of diabetes is that it's never the same illness ... at least not for very long anyway. A person can follow the exact same routine every single day ... eat the correct foods, exercise the most beneficial amount of time, take all the right meds at the right time, and still wake up one morning to find that everything that has worked to keep your blood sugar at a steady level suddenly doesn't work anymore. That's exactly what happened to me Wednesday night ... I went to bed feeling fine and woke up at 3:15 a.m. with the shakes and the sweats and my bedroom spinning around me. And for the last couple of days, that's where I've been living again ... in the land of constantly fluctuating blood sugar and feeling like one giant bag of dog poop. It's amazing how fast I can go from feeling good to feeling lousy when my blood sugar gets out of whack, as I'm sure those of you who have diabetes can completely understand. After a visit to my doctor yesterday and yet another change in the dosage of my diabetes medications, I'm finally feeling better this evening.

When I woke up this morning, I had one overriding thought ... I need to eat right now. And after eating four eggs, drinking two glasses of almond milk and downing half a jar of peanut butter, I sat on my couch next to my sleeping hounds and realized that God had once again gotten my attention in a big way because He wanted to teach me yet another lesson. I will always have diabetes, no matter what I do or how good I think my control over the disease is ... I will deal with times when it suddenly changes until I draw my last breath. And that is something I can never ever change ... the changes that will always accompany this illness. What I can change is my attitude when those changes come ... I can swallow my pride and ask for help when I need it; I can put aside my stubbornness and be proactive about calling my doctor right away when I start feeling bad; I can stop feeling sorry for myself and do whatever it takes to keep on fighting.

Happy weekend, friends ... I hear a jar of peanut butter calling my name.

No comments: