Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Sisterhood

There are certain movies about friendship that leave a mark on a woman's soul ... you know ... movies like Steel Magnolias, Fried Green Tomatoes, The First Wives Club, Thelma and Louise, Beaches, Now and Then, or one of my personal favorites, Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. Not only do I love watching these movies now, I remember the first time I saw each one of them on the big screen at the theater, and I remember each group of gals I was with as we watched the story unfold. And you know what else I remember? I remember the tears and the laughter that we shared as we watched those flicks together, and I remember the way we felt when we left the theater ... connected, closer, more appreciative of the bonds of friendship that existed between us. I have a theory that all women secretly long for a Truvy's Beauty Shop in their lives ... that one place where they become part of something bigger than themselves ... that one place where they gather together to share their hearts and souls and lives with their friends.

Over the years, I've been abundantly blessed to have wonderful friends from differing backgrounds and stations in life. I have many sweet memories of times spent with those ladies, from goofy escapades in high school and college to bachelorette parties before weddings to driveway chats as our children played outside to shared tears at women's conferences to prayers lifted in unison for one of our group who was struggling. I have tons of memories that revolve around times spent with my friends ... my extra-special sisterhood of women whom I've been fortunate enough to walk with on certain stretches of the path of life.

In my last post, I wrote about a couple of meetings that I had with some gals at work ... a couple of emotionally draining and difficult meetings. As soon as I finished talking to the group of women in the second meeting, I immediately left and took the rest of the day off. It wasn't long after I got in my car to head home that my phone began to sound, indicating that I had a text message. One after another, the ladies sent messages of encouragement and support, and when I checked my email later in the day, those who hadn't texted had emailed heartfelt words of compassion and understanding. 

I was quite nervous about returning to work on Thursday ... I left the meeting in a very emotional state and didn't give the women an opportunity to respond in any way, so I wasn't at all certain what kind of reception I would receive when I settled in at my desk that morning. Within minutes after I arrived, a young woman came to my desk and hugged me and told me how much she loved me. Before she left my cubicle, another one appeared and did the same thing ... and another ... and another ... and another. And throughout the day, those women returned to my desk time and time again just to check on me and make sure I felt loved. 

I couldn't help but notice that as the day wore on, the women seemed to feel comfortable enough to begin sharing bits and pieces of what happened after I left the room following Wednesday's meeting. Almost every one of them said the same words to me in one form or another ... "I so wish you could have been there to hear and see what happened after you left, Terrie ... I so wish you could have been there." And yesterday, those precious gals told me again how incredibly special the atmosphere was in the room after I left ... so special that more than one of them said they had never experienced anything like it before. The minute the gals told me, I knew ... I understood what had taken place ... the women had shifted from being co-workers to being sisters ... a new sisterhood was born among them on Wednesday, a sisterhood united by compassion and caring and love.

I've got another ear infection (number 10 this year for those of you who are counting), and I've felt really cruddy since last night. When I was snuggled in on the couch with my hounds this evening watching Cast Away, I couldn't help but reflect on the events of the past week. I couldn't help but think about how very alone I have felt for the last couple of years. I couldn't help but ponder how different my life has become since I've opened up to others over the last few weeks. I couldn't help but wonder what the future holds and what God's plans are for me as I tentatively step forward and seek His will. I couldn't help but smile as I thought about the words of one of the ladies at work ... "We suddenly all felt as if we were part of something bigger, far bigger than any one of us ... far bigger, Terrie, far bigger."

You've heard me say it time and time again, friends ... God is good, so very good, all the time. He is good in the sunshine and the rain. He is good in the happy and the sorrowful. He is good in the sickness and the health. He is good in the joyous and the painful. God is truly good ... so very, very good ... all the time.

   

No comments: