Sunday, April 27, 2014

Where's Noah When I Need Him?

It takes something extra special to cause me to get out of bed at 4:30 a.m. on a Saturday morning after a very busy week at work. Something super extra special enough that by 4:45 a.m. yesterday, I was out of bed, showered and dressed. When my phone dinged with a text message from Meghann at 5 a.m., I was sleepy but also very proud of myself for being ready a bit ahead of the time my daughter had told me she would arrive at my house. Meg, Barrett and I chatted for a few minutes, and after feeding both myself and my dogs, we walked a mile or so to the location where Meghann was running a half marathon. It was a beautiful morning, crisp and clear when the race began ... was being the key word there.

About halfway through the race, the sky grew dark with storm clouds ... yep ... I said storm clouds. Barrett and I quickly moved from the metal bleachers where we were sitting to a large tent held up by a network of metal poles. As the rain began to fall, rolling thunder and bright flashes of lightning filled the sky ... yep ... I was outside in a storm standing under a tent built of metal poles and cloth tarp. Barrett thought I was shivering because I was cold ... truth is I was flipping scared to death and that's why I was shaking. Meghann completed the race, hitting the goal she had set for herself on time. She was soaked to the skin and very tired, but she accomplished what she set out to do. And I ... I stood under a flipping tent during a big thunderstorm and didn't die. I must admit that I might have been almost as proud of myself as I was of my daughter yesterday ... almost.

Today has been one of those days that serves as a perfect example as to why I don't like spring weather. The weather guys have been prepping us all week for the storms that were predicted to hit today, and you all know that means I've been an anxious, nervous wreck. I will say, however, that I did at least feel a bit more prepared than I have in the past ... I did create my rendition of a storm fort last year under the shelves in my basement, you know. And last night, I spent a good part of the evening making sure I had everything I might need packed and ready to head to the basement should the weather get nasty. We had two rounds of storms today, but thankfully, the worst stuff that came my way was torrential rain, gusty winds and a little hail. We have, however, been under a tornado watch for a good part of the day that doesn't expire until 2 a.m. The weather guys are saying they think we're out of the woods for tonight, and this is one time I surely hope they're correct. There was a tornado very near to where Meghann and Barrett live, and I'm beyond thankful they are safe tonight.

It was the second round of storms that brought water into my basement and caused the creek across the street to flood the road leading to my house. I talked to Julie and Ollie as I cleaned up the water ... Julie and Ollie who were snuggled inside their kennel that was bungeed to the water pipes. Don't even think it ... there is nothing at all irrational about that ... not one single hint of my anxiety shifting into overdrive when I bungee the dogs' kennel to the pipes. And it was as I talked to my two dogs and assured them that the storm was almost over, I couldn't help but be struck by how profound my words were ... "The storm is almost over, babies ... it's almost over ... I promise. I'll keep you safe, pups ... the storm is almost over." 

As we climbed the stairs together ... Julie, Ollie and I ... I thought again about what I had said just a few minutes before. And then I began to think about the storms that come along in life ... storms that often seem as though they will never end. Storms that bring with them torrential fears and problems and issues ... storms that threaten to drown us ... storms that threaten to destroy us ... storms that threaten to derail us on our path toward hope, healing and happiness. I wonder if old Noah spoke those words to his family ... "The storm is almost over." I wonder if he spoke them to himself ... I wonder if he spoke them to the animals ... I wonder if he spoke them to God. 

Today would have been a good day to chat with old Noah for a bit ... to ask him how he held on to his faith through such a terrible storm ... to ask him how he kept believing when no one else did ... to ask him ... well ... there are a lot of questions I'd like to ask Noah ... a whole lot of questions, friends ... a whole, whole, whole lot of questions.

No comments: