Tuesday, April 29, 2014

If You Care

I stayed up way too late last night watching the live coverage on The Weather Channel about the severe weather that was and still is hitting the southern states because I have a lot of extended family and friends who live in the South. And to those of you who've messaged me today to ask about my loved ones back home, thank you for checking in to make sure they are okay. I texted with my sister and one of my nieces around noon today, and they said it was a long and terrifying night last night but that they were all safe and sound. You might send some prayers toward all the folks down South again tonight, however, as another round of tornado-producing storms is taking place even as I type. Most of you know I'm terrified of storms, and the thought of my family and friends and their young kiddos going through what they did last night and possibly again tonight makes me ache for them. To my family and friends weathering the intense storms ... you all know who you are ... please know how much I love each and every one of you, and know I've been praying constantly for your safety.

Being glued to the coverage of the weather last night was different than my obsessive weather watching on Sunday ... last night wasn't about me and fearing for my own safety; last night was about caring about the safety of those whom I love. It struck me as I was texting back and forth with my sister earlier today how often it takes danger or illness or hardship or destruction or even death to make so many of us realize what matters most ... caring. I've come to the conclusion that it may well be impossible to care without loving or to love without caring. I know ... that's pretty deep, so I'll move on and just let you ponder on that for a while.

Tomorrow is the day I'm having surgery on my finger, so I may not be writing for at least a week or so until the stitches are removed and perhaps not until the splint comes off in two to three weeks. I mentioned in an earlier post that I was mulling over what I might do during the time I'm out of writing commission and I've got a few ideas, but I haven't really settled on anything just yet. So ... if you care what happens at The Tree House over the next couple of weeks ... if you care and want to send me your thoughts or wishes or rants or praise or criticism or whatever your heart desires to send, I'll do my best to publish them, providing, of course, that you keep it relatively clean. You can email me at terriedjohnson@gmail.com or send me a message on Facebook.

Before my finger goes under the knife, a couple of final thoughts about caring. Caring is way more than just mouthing the words, "I care." Caring is doing. Caring is stepping up and stepping in. Caring is being there no matter what. Caring is fighting for someone who's ready to give up. Caring is loving ... unconditionally, across the board, through good times and bad. To care without loving? To love without caring? Impossible, friends ... impossible indeed.

If you care ...

1 comment:

Mighty Minimalist Mama said...

I would love to contribute to your blog, if that's what you're asking. I could write a whole post on the awesome person you are or another topic of your choosing. Praying for you this morning.