Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Down the Hatch

For those of you who may be in doubt as to the truth of my granddaughter C.J.'s astounding level of intelligence (remember, she's only 2 1/2 years old), I'd like to offer up yet another example which validates my continued assertion that she is indeed a genius. When I visited Matt, Becca and C.J. last Christmas, my then not quite 2-year-old granddaughter became extremely interested in the pills I had to take each day along with the various pill boxes in which I kept them. She quickly associated my daily meds with the vitamin tablet she took each day and deemed my assortment of pills "Ghee's vitamins." Mind you it's been a full nine months since my visit last Christmas, but the first thing C.J. said when I placed my pill containers on the kitchen shelf was, "Ghee, those are your vitamins." The fact that she remembered that nine months later is amazing in and of itself, but it was what she announced to me a couple of days later that completely blew my mind.

Matt and Becca had already finished eating and left the table so it was just the two of us. Each time I opened up the compartment for my breakfast, lunch or dinner meds, C.J. would ask to see my vitamins. And then she counted how many were in the palm of my hand. And then at breakfast on my third day in Canada, she matter of factly said, "Ghee, you not take da bwack pill at breakfast, just da white ones and da lellow one and da blue and white one. You take da bwack pill at wunch and dinner but not at breakfast." Not only had she been counting the number of pills in my hand each time I took them, my granddaughter had noted which pills I take at each meal ... did I mention that she's only 2 1/2? And did I mention that she's a genius? Thinking that perhaps she only knew when I took the black pill because it looks so different from the other meds, I asked her what colors my lunch and dinner pills were ... and she told me. I was completely and utterly blown away ... completely, entirely, totally and utterly blown away. I had no idea that my little grandgal was paying such close attention to my medications ... I had no idea that my little grandgal was paying such close attention to me. 

If you've been reading along with me over the last couple of years, you are well aware of my lack of enthusiasm concerning taking certain medications. For those of you who are new to my blog, please allow me to explain ... I refused to take antidepressants for a long time for far too many reasons to share in tonight's post. And the truth is that I still wrestle from time to time with having to take those particular medications ... again, for far too many reasons to share in tonight's post. But even as I type those words, I can hear the sweet voice of my precious little C.J. say each time we sat down for a meal ... "Ghee, take your vitamins now. Ghee!! It's time a take your vitamins!" Even my 2 1/2-year-old granddaughter recognized that it was important for me to take my meds ... out of the mouths of babes, eh?

Today I was trying my best to get out of doing something ... something I know is important in my journey toward being okay and confident in who I am ... something that often takes every ounce of strength I have within me to do. I was trying my best to get out of doing that particular something when a friend reminded me that doing the something I didn't want to do is part of my prescription for helping me reach the place of "okayness." I'm sure my friend didn't know how deeply profound her words were ... words I haven't been able to shake from my mind since the moment she said them. I'm equally as sure that my little C.J. had no way of knowing that her insistence that I take my vitamins would resonate so strongly with me after I left.

"Ghee, take your vitamins ... Ghee, it's time a take your vitamins."

"It's part of the prescription, so you need to do it."
  
 I think I get the message ... I think I do indeed.

No comments: