Sunday, October 26, 2014

The Grouchy-less Camel

The circus ... boy, did I love going to the circus when I was a kid. It's a toss-up as to who was more excited when the circus came to town each year, me or Daddy. He would always stand in line to buy our tickets ahead of time at the Memorial Auditorium box office so that we would get good seats. I know it's hard for you young folks to believe, but there was no such thing as Ticketmaster back then ... you had to physically go to the place where an event was scheduled to be held to buy tickets. Daddy would never admit that he enjoyed going to the circus as much as I did, but I can distinctly remember the extra-special twinkle in his eye when he would come home with the tickets emblazoned with the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus logo and their famous tag line "The Greatest Show on Earth." He would flash the tickets in front of my eyes and say, "How about me and you go to the circus, Sam?" and I would squeal with excitement. It would be years later before I came to understand that it wasn't Daddy's love for the animals or the clowns or the trapeze artists that caused him to spend his hard-earned money on circus tickets for the two of us ... it was his overwhelming love for me.

I recall on one of our adventures to the circus, Daddy somehow managed to wrangle us a special behind-the-scenes visit, and oh my gosh, was I ever over-the-top excited. I talked about nothing else for two weeks prior to the circus, peppering Daddy with question after question after question about what we would get to see. I was especially focused on the animals, two species in particular ... the elephants and the monkeys. When Daddy told me our backstage tour included a ride on an elephant and a chance to hold a monkey and have my picture taken, I was most certainly the happiest kid on the planet ... until the day arrived and we were actually there. My excitement was immediately replaced with terror ... elephants are really, really, really big and monkeys pull little kids' hair and make them cry. No, really, seriously, totally true story ... I learned quickly that day that elephants are bigger than the biggest skyscrapers and monkeys have a very real fetish for hair-pulling. What began as my dream adventure that day dissolved into me alternating between hiding behind Daddy's legs and clawing my way up into his arms. I wouldn't even look at the animals, and I refuse to talk about what happened when the clowns tried to talk to me ... just trust me when I say that it wasn't at all pretty, and Daddy certainly never took me backstage at the circus again.

Last night, I went to a party ... nope, you didn't misread that statement ... last night, I went to a party. An extremely kind and generous person (who attended the event a couple of weeks ago when I spoke alongside my good friend Nate Phelps) had an extra place at her table and invited me to attend. The theme for the event was Midnight at the Oasis ... black tie creative attire, five-course dinner and a plethora of entertainers who transformed the event space into an oasis any sultan would be proud to call his or her own. Seriously ... there was a snake charmer, a henna tattoo artist, a magician, a fire eater who walked on pieces of glass, belly dancers and ... wait for it ... a real live camel. I'm not kidding ... there was a real live beer-drinking, kiss-stealing, tail-wagging camel at the party. Daddy would have been so overwhelming proud of me because not only did I pet the camel's furry neck, I had my picture taken with the snake charmer dude while he had two freaking gigantic snakes draped across his shoulders.

Now here's the thing ... I had a cruddy few days last week, as you know if you read my previous post. Add my lousy mood to my nervousness about going to the party last night, and you get one really grouchy Terrie. I was so grouchy, in fact, that I snapped at one of my close friends, and anyone who knows me well knows that it's really rare for me to pop off like that at anyone and certainly not at one of dearest friends. Thank God my friend is a loving, caring and forgiving person who immediately accepted my apology with her ever-present style of patience and grace ... followed by a text message a little later that said, "Have fun, relax and be yourself. When you're not grouchy, you're very fun to be around." That's a truly good friend, you know ... one who is quick to forgive me when I behave like a jerk and equally as quick to let me know that grouchiness doesn't look so good on me. And she's right ... she's always right.

I've thought a ton today about the camel from the party ... about how majestic and calm she was, and about how much it made me smile as I watched her drinking beer from someone's glass. I realized something as I was walking with Ollie this evening ... the camel was nice to every single person who approached her, no anxiety, no aggressive behavior, no grouchiness at all. All that camel had to do last night was be kind to everyone she met and lighten their spirits ... well, that and be photographed about a bazillion times. I watched as person after person rubbed the camel's neck and had their picture taken with the camel who loved every single one of them just the same. Actually, she seemed to love the people most who had a glass of beer that they were willing to share. I had a great time at the party, by the way ... the people welcomed me with open arms and open hearts, and I loved hearing their stories about their own journeys.

So here's to generous people who share of their money, their talent and their time ... to honest friends who forgive quickly but don't let me off the hook ... to the healing power of love and laughter ... and to camel fur ... here's to grouchy-less camels and their soft golden fur.








  

No comments: