Tuesday, June 16, 2015

It's Okay to Play

Dear Mom and Ollie,

This is the first time I've ever written a letter because when I lived with the two of you, licks and tail wags were my way of telling you both how much I loved you. And because you would never let me type on your laptop, Mom, even though I tried really hard to convince you that I wouldn't scratch it up with my dog nails or make it not work by slobbering on it. But like I said, I didn't need to send you guys a letter before because I was with you. This typing thing is pretty fun, though, so I'm giving you a heads-up that I might send some more from time to time.

You wouldn't believe all the things I can do up here in doggie heaven ... typing and playing games on my very own laptop is cool, of course, but that's nothing compared to all the other stuff I get to do. I can run and run and run and run (my leg is just fine now), and I can jump higher than ever. There aren't any fences here, so I can go exploring everywhere ... this place is ginormous, so I've been doing a lot of exploring. There's this one room that is full of all kinds of dog bones, and I don't even have to ask or do tricks to get as many as I want. Just so you know, though, Mom, I liked doing tricks for you because it always made you smile really big. And doing tricks always scored me some Cheetos, too, which by the way, are everywhere here ... more Cheetos than I've ever seen, and I can eat all my stomach can hold. But there is also every kind of food in the universe here, so sometimes I eat steak and lobster instead of Cheetos. 

There are lots of other dogs here, and J.R. was waiting at the gate for me when I got here. I sure was relieved to see him because I was kind of scared at first when I left the vet's office last week. Mom, you and Brad were crying so much and I was scared about leaving you guys alone because I worried about you being okay. It was good that you let me go, Mom, because I was very sick and I wasn't going to get better. I want you to know that you did the right thing, Mom ... you did the best thing you could have ever done for me. I miss you and Ollie so much and so does J.R., but this place is unbelievable and I want to thank you for sending me here. Did I tell you there are like a gazillion tennis balls here? I brought one with me just in case, but there are more than enough here ... and they are all different colors, too, Ollie. There are a gazillion different colored tennis balls here, and an endless supply of beef jerky and ice cream (and I can eat until I can't eat one more bite and never gain an ounce!!). And socks ... there are so many socks to chew on ... oh, my gosh ... tons and tons and tons of socks!

I'm telling you about all the cool things here because I want you to know I'm okay. Don't get me wrong, I miss you both every minute of every day, but it's like you said when J.R. came here, Mom ... to everything a season, and it was my season to come here. Me and J.R. have a plan for when it's the season for you guys to come here ... I can't tell you what it is cause then it wouldn't be a surprise, but it's going to be the most awesome thing ever and you're both going to love it. Speaking of love ... I know how much you loved me, Mom, don't ever think I didn't know that you loved me to the moon and back. Even when I ate all those raw pork chops and Meghann's cupcakes off the counter or when I puked up my food on the carpet and even when I knocked you down that one time at the dog park and got mud all over you ... you always loved me and I always knew you did.

I wanted to write to tell you I'm okay, but the real reason I'm writing is because I know how sad you guys are. Mom, I know you cry at night when you go to bed because you miss my head on your back and my paw on your shoulder, and I hate seeing you so sad. I want you to promise me that starting tonight you'll think about the happy and fun times we had instead of thinking about me not being there. And King Oliver ... don't be afraid to go outside without me ... Mom won't let anything happen to you in the backyard, I promise, and you can't hold your pee and poop forever or you'll get really bad sick. I appreciate you saving all your treats for me in my special spot on the couch, but it would make me really happy if you would go ahead and eat them ... really, really, really happy. And dude ... Mom took you to the pet store and got you some new toys and the lady at her work sent you a rabbit that's bigger than you are ... you need to play, buddy ... it's okay for you to play without me, really, it is ... I want you to play, play, play, play, play. Playing is the best part of living ... well, next to Cheetos and Mom's hugs, that is.

You guys are going to be okay ... it will take a while, but you will be okay. I'm watching out for you from up here, and I'm inside your hearts forever and ever and ever. Take care of each other and have fun together ... that's maybe the greatest thing about this place where I am now ... everybody has fun together and nobody gets mad at each other or tries to take each other's toys ... everybody shares and everybody is nice to everybody. Me and J.R. both figured out as soon as we got here that it's okay to play ... it's always okay to play, Ollie and Mom ... it's always okay to play.

I love you both more than you'll ever know.

Your pal,

Julie



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so glad I read this tonight. My dog and cat both have cancer. Gracie our dog has been doing well and I am thankful she is hanging in there with a good quality of life. Fritz our cat is not doing well. Very unexpected last month when I noticed something wrong with him. I have watched him go through the process and changes. He looks at me with his eyes and just wants me to hold him. He lays his head on my shoulder as I hold him. What once use to be quick 2 minute holds are now extended hugs. When the time is the time which I dread. He has been such a big part or our lives and our family. He is our family. He doesn't see my tears because I try to comfort him but I can say this has been hard. Thanks for the article. It brought a sweet sense of understanding to a difficult time. Thank you