Thursday, June 4, 2015

Put on Both Shoes

As most of you probably know, there has been a ton of rain out here in the heartland over the last few weeks. And with so much rain comes lots and lots of problems ... flooded streets, flooded basements, even big old trees being uprooted and falling over because the ground is so saturated with water. As I sit here typing, more thunderstorms and heavy rain are rolling toward Kansas City ... and just in case you're wondering, of course I'm watching the weather and checking the radar ... of course I am. 

Yesterday just about the time I was heading out to lunch with a young man I work with, the heavens opened up and let loose with torrential rainfall ... seriously, the rain was coming down so hard and the wind was blowing so strongly that it looked and felt like we were in the middle of a monsoon. We stood at the door for several minutes debating whether or not we should attempt to make our way to the restaurant through the high water that was racing from the street over the curb and onto the sidewalk. Eventually our two hungry bellies won out and gave us the courage we needed to venture out into the storm. We huddled together under my umbrella and splashed our way through the rushing water to the cafe across the street and enjoyed an hour of great food and even greater conversation.

When I got dressed yesterday morning, I foolishly decided to wear my red Converse shoes even though I knew it was supposed to rain and I was going out for lunch with my friend. It only took a few seconds once we stepped outside for me to realize I had most definitely made the wrong choice for my feet, and by the time we decided to try and jump across the current ... unsuccessfully, I might add ... not only were my shoes soaking wet but my socks and the bottom of my jeans were as well. Since I couldn't take my shoes off in the restaurant, by the time I got back to my desk after lunch, my feet felt like chunks of cold, wet cement. I wasted no time in peeling off my shoes and socks, and I propped them up against the small fan under my desk in the hope that they would dry quickly. Thankfully, they did, because Lord knows I didn't want to have to get up and walk around with no shoes on ... remember, my feet are far from beautiful and my toenails most certainly are not covered in pretty pink nail polish.

As I drove home after work, I couldn't help but think about something I read a few days ago ... something about how important it is for us to never judge another person until we live in their shoes ... not just walk in their shoes, friends, but live in them. My guess is I'm not the only one who doesn't want to spend my days in wet shoes ... or dirty shoes ... or shoes that don't fit ... or shoes that are ugly ... or shoes that hurt ... or shoes that aren't my own. I'll leave you with the words I read ... think deeply about them, friends ... think really deeply about them. You can't put on just one shoe if you really want to help someone ... you have to put on both ... you have to put on both shoes.

"I've heard it said that in order to truly experience empathy for another, a person must walk a mile in his or her shoes. I hold that the truth behind that advice is real, but one must put on both shoes. Empathy comes only when I put on both shoes of my friend or neighbor or family member. Both shoes must be worn if my desire is to know the depths of another's sadness or the heights of his or her happiness. Putting on one shoe isn't good enough; I must put on both shoes and I must live in those shoes to gain true understanding."

Put on both shoes, friends ... put them both on and live in them for a while.


No comments: