Saturday, June 27, 2015

Will You Marry Me?

As I'm sure most everyone in the world now knows, the Supreme Court of the United States officially legalized same-sex marriage nationwide yesterday. Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with the Court's ruling, yesterday will remembered as a point in history that changed our nation forever. The division of opinion regarding the Court's decision is perhaps espoused and vocalized most vehemently within the realm of social media ... Facebook even created a tool so that folks could place a rainbow overlay on their profile pictures to show their support in favor of the new legislation. Me being me, I opted instead to change my cover photo rather than my profile pic ... to rainbow colored high-top Converse shoes, of course.

My post this evening is in response to the flood of emails and private Facebook messages I've received since the Court's ruling yesterday asking me why I haven't commented publicly as to my feelings about the decision. I've said this before, but I'm saying it again ... it is utterly crazy to me how many people take the time to write to me. I can't begin to explain what a humbling experience it is for me when I read your heartfelt words ... words filled to overflowing with a passion for what you believe in. It's taken me almost three years to come to that understanding, you know ... that even the really negative and hate-filled messages I often receive are coming from a place of passion for what those folks believe in and the principles they hold to be true. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's ever okay to hate or condemn or judge anyone or that those types of notes don't slice my heart wide open ... not for one minute am I saying that hate is ever okay because it's not. What I am saying, though, is that I've come to understand that people ... all people ... have passion when it comes to the things they believe in. And ... I've come to understand that's especially true when it concerns what people believe to be right or wrong in the eyes of God.

So having said that, here's my take on the Supreme Court's ruling to legalize same-sex marriage throughout all 50 states ... I find it abundantly interesting that it was a 5-4 decision. While the Court officially ruled in favor of same-sex marriage, it was basically a split decision with only a single vote determining the final outcome. That 5-4 vote speaks volumes to me ... it tells me that though the ruling was to legalize same-sex marriage across the country, there remains a huge divide between those who are in favor and those who are opposed. I don't have to look any further than my Facebook news feed to know that's true ... the truth is that even within my own family and circle of friends there are those who are passionate in their belief that marriage is to be only between a man and a woman according to God's Word, while others are equally as passionate in their belief that same-sex couples should be granted the same rights and freedoms as heterosexual couples. The truth is that's why I've refrained from commenting on Facebook or any other social media platform as to how I feel about yesterday's Supreme Court ruling ... I haven't commented out of love and respect for my family ... all of my family, no matter what they believe.

To me, that's really the most important part of my humble opinion regarding the Court's landmark decision yesterday ... to me, what matters most is how we will treat one another going forward. At the end of the day, the most important decision any of us can make regarding same-sex marriage or any other issue that has the potential to divide is whether or not we choose to love and respect one another. Love, respect, honor, patience and understanding toward one another ... that's the most important decision we can ever hope to make. Love is love, friends ... love is always and forever love.

1 comment:

Mighty Minimalist Mama said...

The decision wasn't as close as the 5-4 split indicates. At least two of the judges who wrote dissenting opinions did not oppose the legalization of same-sex marriage, but rather the argument of how it got there. The 14th amendment was used for the basis of the support argument. Some feel the 9th amendment would have been a more solid case.

I agree with you that we need to respect our loved ones. Thankfully my family that disagrees with the ruling are not spewing hate. It would be hard to remain respectful.