Tuesday, June 23, 2015

The Ethic of Reciprocity

Before I launch into my post for this evening, I should tell you it's not the post I intended to post. Though I may have an idea for a post cooking in my brain for a while, it's not very often that I actually write a post until I feel like it's time to post it. The exceptions to my writing and posting in real time are few ... in fact, I can count on one hand the number of times I've written a post ahead of time, not counting the times I've collaborated with my two favorite co-writers. I had trouble sleeping last night and I decided that rather than watching mindless television, I would go ahead and write the post I was planning to post this evening ... and I did, and I'll post it tomorrow. I think. No promises. Because tomorrow could be like today ... sometimes there are things that just need to be said when the emotion bubbles up inside me, things that I need to put down on paper while my feelings and thoughts are raw and real and ready to be written. Having said that, I'll toss out a disclaimer ... you may consider tonight's post a continuation or add-on of sorts to my more than a little ticked off "Put a Little Please on That ... Please" post from last week.

I'm sure most of you have heard of The Golden Rule ... "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." In modern English, that means treat other people the way you want to be treated. I've been doing a bit of research into the origin and history of the Golden Rule phrase, and I discovered that it has existed in varying forms in almost all religions for centuries. Jesus himself spoke in Matthew 7:12 of this basic tenant of human interaction, though He didn't specifically bestow the title "Golden Rule" to the words. The New American Standard translation of the Bible says this, "In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets." And the New International translation puts it this way, "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." And the good old King James translation states, "Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets." I'm pretty certain that no matter which translation you read from, they all mean the same thing ... treat people with the level of respect and kindness you wish to receive in return.

In my research regarding those words that have existed in almost all religions and cultures around the world for centuries, I learned there's another set of words used to describe the concept of treating others as we desire to be treated ... "the ethic of reciprocity." I find that phrase incredibly interesting ... not the use of the word reciprocity, mind you, but rather the use of the word ethic. Linking those two words together implies the necessity for the existence of a moral code involving human interaction ... it's the same as saying we have a moral responsibility to treat each other the way we want to be treated ourselves. Different words, same meaning. Different words, same instructions. Different words, same results. Treat people the same way you want to be treated. Period. Be moral and just and fair and respectful and honest and understanding and compassionate in your interactions with others ... all the time. Yep, I said all the time, and that's the kicker ... treat others the way you wish to be treated even when they don't treat you the same way. Whoa ... that makes it a little more difficult, eh?

Did you know that one of the most damaging things someone can do in regard to negatively affecting another's self-esteem is to ignore or disregard them? I was surprised by that information, though it does make sense when I think about it ... and it makes even more sense to me when I experience it firsthand. Sometimes I wonder if I have a neon light flashing above my head that says, "Feel free to interrupt the conversation I was having with this person because I'm obviously way less important than you are. Oh, and while you're at it, completely disregard my presence because that really makes me feel great." Yes, that makes me angry, and yes, it hurts my feelings, and no, I never ever want to treat someone in a manner that will cause them to feel the way I feel when it happens to me ... the way it chips away at my soul and chews up my heart. I know some of you are shaking your fingers at me and thinking that instead of walking away like I always do, I should call the person out for their impolite and rude behavior. But remember what I said earlier ... trying to live out the Golden Rule ... trying to practice the ethic of reciprocity means treating others the way I want to be treated ... even when ... especially when ... they don't treat me the same way in return.

Sorry for the rant ... actually, no ... no, I'm not sorry at all. The world would be such a better place if we would just be kind to each other ... if we would just demonstrate respect for each other ... if we would just stop gazing into our own mirror and being so impressed with ourselves and start looking into the eyes and hearts of those around us. The world is a much more beautiful place ... a much more compassionate place ... a much more loving place ... a much more encouraging place when we do unto others as we would have them do unto us.  


No comments: